6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 12:54 AM by ian.cox1

Vesys 2 - Schematic/Harness Ground connections

ian.cox1

Hi.

I have a schematic with a ground symbol ('device') connected to a 'splice' and wiring from the splice. This looks great on the schematic but gives a problem with Harness:

Problem is I have set up the Ring Terminal dummy connector with ring terminals added to it. Yet I now can not add this Ring Terminal 'connector' to the 'device' or 'splice' in Schematic.

I have raised it as an issue in 'Ideas' but need to know if anyone has a 'work around'. (Remembering of course that I can not add it directly to the harness, as per Classic, because the 'Synchronize' process will remove it.)

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Vesys 2 - Schematic/Harness Ground connections
          Nuri

Hi Ian,

This is a topic that I am hoping to invest in during this year.  Right now the ring terminal flow is to use a dummy connector, however I am not sure why you are unable to attach this connector to the device.  Have you discussed it with Support?

Thanks,

Nuri

• 2. Re: Vesys 2 - Schematic/Harness Ground connections
            mike_templeman

Hi Ian,

If you have added the dummy Ring Terminal as a harness footprint then in Design you should be able to right-click on the Ground and select "Generate Harness Connectors"

For the splice you will need to create the individual splice parts in the library and attach them to the splice in Design.

Does this help?  You may want to attach a screen grab to illustrate.

Thanks,

Mike

• 3. Re: Vesys 2 - Schematic/Harness Ground connections
              ian.cox1

Hi Mike / Nuri,

I see - treat the ground as per the battery and switch 'devices' on my schematic.

This will get the ring terminal/lug onto the drawing - I guess I should be able to move this then to the node on the loom where the ground point is to be. However the 'splice' that the ground 'device' is connected to will also keep being brought in on every synchronize, will it not ?

Regards,

Ian

• 4. Re: Vesys 2 - Schematic/Harness Ground connections
                ian.cox1

Hi.

Further to the previous discussion/s...

Using this 'dummy connector' route to set up ring terminals I now cannot see the supplier or supplier part number listed for the ring terminals when looking at the harness BOM via 'view reports' option.

(see attached - M6-10, M8-10 and M10-10 ring terminals)

Is this something anyone else has experienced..?

• 5. Re: Vesys 2 - Schematic/Harness Ground connections
                  Sysign

Hi Ian,

I am assuming terminal supplier information, terminal constraints and dummy connector (Housing Tab) options are properly entered in your Component Library.  The "Include on BOM" check box should not be "checked" in your dummy connector Base tab (default is "checked").  I would then review Component Cavity Management in the harness design to verify (or select) the required terminals in your dummy connectors.   

Hope that helps,

-James

• 6. Re: Vesys 2 - Schematic/Harness Ground connections
                    ian.cox1

Hi James,

Thanks for your email.

Yes the dummy connector was set with the include on BOM box unchecked and the housing tab details ok.

Looking further into it I noticed a terminal lug which had selected the correct terminal via component cavity management but was not displayed in the wire table. To get it displayed in the wire table I had to unselect the select terminal and exit back to drawing. Going back into component cavity management to re-select the select terminal option. Doing this for all the 6 terminal lugs regardless of if they were shown in the wire table or not eventually showned the supplier details in the BOM via view reports.

I am thinking there must be issues with how Vesys2 BOM works. Another clue to this belief is the fact that I have 10,20 and 30mm braided sleeving all entered the same in Components yet the 30mm will not show the supplier details in the BOM via view reports.

Regards,

Ian