2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 9:32 AM by arnaud.marchese

Help getting started with Pads (DxDesigner)

arnaud.marchese

Hello everyone,

I'm new to pads  (DxDesigner) and I've been playing around with the evaluation version since we have a single licence here at my workplace, which we'll be sharing between two engineers. However I've been having lots of trouble so far getting comfortable with it, I've heard that it's supposed to be great for it's ease of use but to me it feels really clumsy and confusing right now. I'm somewhat familiar with Orcad (Cadence) and it's layout software, so some of my problems may come from me trying to use PADS like I would use Orcad.

Right now here are a few problems that I can't seem to find solutions for through the user manual or searching online:

First, I've been trying to modify certain library parts, but I can't seem to find any way to do so. I'm guessing the DxLibrary Studio should allow me to do that, but right now it's not available through the tools menu, and when I try to start it through the Dashboard it tells me the file doesn't exist. Is this because I'm using the evaluation version? Will deactivating my colleague's licence so we can activate it on my computer solve my problem?

Also I've been trying to assign package types to items in my design, but I can't seem to figure out how to make sure the package type I assign in DxDesigner will be recognized by PADS Layout. So far I haven't had any success in simply assigning a 0805 resistor footprint, although I was able to find it in the layout library.

Third, I had this problem when trying to assign a reference designator to my resistors wouldn't allow me to use the term "R?" so that my resistors would be assigned as R1, R2, etc... as well as my capacitators. So right now, my resistors and Caps all have "?" as a REFDES value, and after creating the netlist they end up being number 1 through N without any discrimination between resistors and capacitators.

Unfortunately the previous engineer who was adept with PADS no longer works here, and my colleague and I are both a bit stuck at the moment. If anyone can guide me towards the tutorials or documents which could clarify some of my issues, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Arnaud Marchese

Intern, eng. student