8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 4:02 PM by yu.yanfeng

Can Hyperlynx do RF simulation?

xizhao1985

Hi all,

I am use to Hyperlynx and have some questions about the simulation part.

First I have done a PCB both schematics and layout in PADS. The PCB is designed for a 20dB amplifier working at 1 to 2GHz. So there are RFin and RFout nets on the board.

Right now, I want to simulate the S11 and S21 for the two signal nets, and also want to see the impedance of the RF input port and RF out port.

Can Hyperlynx do that?

Thank you very much.

Xi

• 1. Re: Can Hyperlynx do RF simulation?
          yu.yanfeng

Hi Xi,

You can get S11 /S12 parameters for the RFin and RFout traces using Hyperlynx,  also you can get the trances's impedence. Hower, these parameters don't make sense to design RF amplifer.

Yanfeng

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can Hyperlynx do RF simulation?
            xizhao1985

Hi Yanfeng,

I didn't design the amplifer, I just design the board for using a commericial amplifier. I thought

The "s-parameter model" is grayed out in my hyperlynx. Do you know how to enable that? Even I have set the simulator to eldo/ADMS.

Thank you very much.

Xi

• 3. Re: Can Hyperlynx do RF simulation?
              yu.yanfeng

Do you mean the menu item "S- Parameter Model" is grayed? That is a license feature, you  should have to grant license feature for  Hyperlynx GHz . If you have this license feature, you can grant by setup->options-license check out and check in...

Yanfeng

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can Hyperlynx do RF simulation?
                xizhao1985

Hi Yanfeng,

Thank you a lot. I am able to use the feature now.

I am sorry I am new to both the software and board simulation. I may have some futher questions to bother you. So on my RF nets, there are footprints for connector, capacitor and  amplifer. Do I need to creat model for each of them? Which format of model can be used for extracting the net s parameter.

Thanks,

Xi

• 5. Re: Can Hyperlynx do RF simulation?
                  weston_beal

The connector is probably the port of your network for S-parameter extraction, so you don't need to model that. The capacitor is modeled automatically by HyperLynx. You just need to supply the capacitance value. You can assign an S-parameter model of the amplifier, and then extract the S-parameters of a selected net. The issue may be selecting everything that you want to model together. If that is not possible in BoardSim, then you can export the separate nets into LineSim and then copy and paste from the individual schematics into one collective schematic. Then export the S-parameters from there. If you have problems with some of these steps then you can open a service request through SupportNet to get help on your specific design.

• 6. Re: Can Hyperlynx do RF simulation?
                    xizhao1985

If I can't find the s-parameter model in library for the amplifier, can I create one by myself?

Would you pls tell me how to do that?

Thanks.

Xi

• 7. Re: Can Hyperlynx do RF simulation?
                      weston_beal

On second thought, you can't use an S-parameter model of an amplifier in HyperLynx SI. HyperLynx SI is focused and optimized for digital circuits and expects S-parameters to model passive interconnects. Because of this optimization, the simulator forces S-parameter to be passive. Amplifiers are not passive.

You can use HyperLynx SI to extract S-parameters of routing on a PCB, and then use the extracted S-parameter data in a more general circuit simulator, such as HyperLynx Analog, SystemVision, or Eldo RF.

• 8. Re: Can Hyperlynx do RF simulation?
                        yu.yanfeng

My Chinese buddy! don't waste time, you should use ADS or MWS to simulate your RF design. Hyperlynx is tailed to digital SI and PI.

Yanfeng