5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 10:38 PM by rajesh.pathak

How to copy a part of schematic from one project to another?

gokulavardan.santhirakumaran

How can I  copy a part of schematic from one project to another in PADS 9.2 DxDesigner? Apparently i cant open both projects at the same time; if i open one the other one gets closed.

• 1. Re: How to copy a part of schematic from one project to another?
          strangd

Did you try in the Main menu: File | Open | Block?  In the Open Block window go to the Look in: drop-down box and select Browse...  This will bring up the Open browse window.  Navigate to the directory where the project file for the schematic that you wish to copy from is found and select that project file.  Clicking the Open button will bring up a list of scematic sheets which that project file points to.  Select the sheet what contains what you want copied.  That sheet will be opened along with any schematic sheet in which you are working.

• 2. Re: How to copy a part of schematic from one project to another?
            apalomar

If your license can handle more than one session of Dx at a time you can do the following:

(This is assuming Windows 7 is operating system)

1. With current session of Dx running and desired design opened, right click on  Dx icon in Windows taskbar

2. Click on DxDesiigner icon in popup.

3. You will now have another session of dx running and can open design you want to copy from at this time.

4. to copy from one project to another all you need to do is use the Windows select and copy commands.

You can also navigate from start menu to mentor SDD and start another session of Dx from there.

I imagine XP will be pretty similar.

Regards,

a-

• 3. Re: How to copy a part of schematic from one project to another?
              gokulavardan.santhirakumaran

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, i can open both the schematic if i go through the dashboard. It's just, if i try to open the project directly from a folder its asking me to close the other one. I don't know why, but its wired.

Anyhow, thanks once again.

• 4. Re: How to copy a part of schematic from one project to another?
                Gary_Lameris

With the PADS flow, Dashboard is NOT recommended to launch DxDesigner;  Launch DxDesigner from the Start Menu > Mentor Graphics SDD > Design Entry > DxDesigner.  After launching the first time,  I pin DxDesigner to the Start  menu for faster access.  Doing this, you should be able to launch multiple sessions of DxDesigner, open unique projects, and directly copy and paste blocks.

If you cannot select a block to copy it, in DxDesigner open Setup > Settings > Navigator > Sheets > Display Sheets Always.  This allows a block to be selected.

If you need to copy unique labels,  in DxDesigner open Setup > Settings > Advanced > Check or uncheck "Unique names on copy" as required.

Mr. Strang also had a correct method to copy blocks (schematic pages) in the first reply to your posting.

• 5. Re: How to copy a part of schematic from one project to another?
                  rajesh.pathak

Hello Sir,

If we open the different project sheet in current project through block option, then other project sheet opens only in read mode only & don't allow to paste the contents in main project.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Shivani Garg