12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 2:18 AM by support@caresoftglobal.com

In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?

thomas.scharf

Following a database corruption I had to export all my projects as copies. I had to uninstall VeSys 2.0 2010.2 and reinstall it again. I imported my projects, libraries etc. When I looked at File>Project Preferences I found that these were the same as my previous (non-default) settings.

I took the precaution of logging all my Style Settings before uninstalling VeSys and sadly I've found that these have changed back to default. But what's most worrying in the menu structure is that I've lost all the Cross-reference  XREF setup options?

Wire>Decorations>Horizontal/Vertical>Cross-reference>Wire-XREF is important to me and they've gone.

If I connect a wire across two drawings the offsheet double arrows appear as expected, but there is no associated text to indicate the target sheet/Component/pin. When I look at properties for the wire, [Hide Cross-reference text] is shown, indicating that it should currently be visible. Switching this makes no difference.

None of the cross-reference XREF setups are available any more so I won't be able to see cross-references for any new items (connectors, devices, symbols, wires) which are split across drawings

Style7a.png     Style-new.png

Original                                                                             New Installation

Is there a check-box I need to tick to enable these Wire-XREF menu items?

To ensure I haven't installed an older version by mistake, I am currently running Release: 2010.2.34

• 1. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
          Phil_Davies

Tom,

Regarding the database corruption we never advise that xml data is manually edited and re-imported because of the risk of corruption as you have seen.

The reason why you are not seeing the cross references is because, as you have observed, reverted back to a default style set.  What you should have done prior to re-installing VeSys is run the following commands to export and re-import your system data.

C:\MentorGraphics\VeSys\bin\vesysmigrate.exe –d

Then point to the default “quick start” location for system data, which is C:\MentorGraphics\VeSys\data\xml

For more information on migrate and pre-migrate please refer to the following document http://communities.mentor.com/docs/DOC-1573

Regards

Phil D

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
            thomas.scharf

Hi Phil,

After I loaded and opened the Quick Start project to try and delete remaining components (see other thread) I had a look at the Style Sets and found that the XREF menu items were still missing. So it doesn't seem to be related to whether the Quick Start project is loaded. Mystifying!

• 3. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
              Nuri

The XREF format in styling is part of the system data (and not part of any individual project), so loading the "Quick Start - Project" will not reset the styleset for your installation.  I think Phil has provided you with instructions for importing the "Quick Start - System Style Set", have you tried that?

Thanks,

Nuri

• 4. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
                thomas.scharf

I'm not sure whether he has? The link to the DOC in his last message doesn't work. Please explain how I import the Quick-Start style set. I did look at the style set while the Quick Start project was open and found that the XREFs were still not available. Was that because I had my other 'new' project style set loaded? This is all very confusing.

I am doing an export of all databases and an import in order to blow away the remaining Mentor training parts (why so many?). Each time I lose productive time and risk damage to my projects. It should be possible to fix these issues without reinitiallising VeSys every time.

Please give me a very simple and complete fix for this issue.

• 5. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
                  Phil_Davies

Tom,

To create the XREF from scratch i.e If you have no system data to import follow these instructions

1) Ensure that in preferences against the diagram "use style set cross reference" is checked

style set xref.png

2) Edit the style of the wire and select cross reference > then select the + at the top left of the dialog (shown in red) you can then create the new cross reference.

XREF .png

Regards

Phil D

• 6. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
                    thomas.scharf

Thank you. That green cross was the essential clue I was missing. Prior to my database corruption I exported my projects onto another PC. We noted at the time that my Style Set hadn't moved with it and we found that we would have had to edit the whole style set on the 2nd PC. Under what circumstances does the style set stay with the project when it's copied to another PC?

I then had the problem that I'd lost all the useful default settings for the XREFs and had to do quite a bit of work to reinstate them.

The style set is pretty large. Manually copying it from one PC to another is a lot of work and it would be a real enhancement if it could be exported as an XML and imported into another copy of VeSys.

Regards: Tom

• 7. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
                      Nuri

Hi Tom,

I agree that it would be good to have "import/export" style sets from within the tool, I think there already is an requirement for this within our IDEAS website.  As for manually copying this to other PCs, that is not needed if they are all configured to point to the same database/manager, have you considered that?

Also,

thomas.scharf wrote:

Under what circumstances does the style set stay with the project when it's copied to another PC?

The Style Set definition is never saved with the project, so if a project is moved between PCs (by exporting XML) then you would need to share the styleset.  Of course, not needed if you are sharing a manager/database as I stated above,

Kind Regards,

Nuri

• 8. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
                        thomas.scharf

Hi Nuri,

We are hoping to go to that solution. A project has been set up with IT to install it on one of our servers so that we can run it in client-server mode. An issue with that though is the amount of  resource soaked up by the VeSys manager and database services. I believe there are something like 13 additional processes running whether or not VeSys is being used! Some users have reported that the services overhead actually slows their PCs down and that they have to stop them to restore performance. Our servers are struggling as it is. Another question is whether we would be using up another licence on the server?

"...so if a project is moved between PCs (by exporting XML) then you would need to share the styleset." Yes, and how do you do that? I have had to uninstall and reinstall VeSys several times to fix problems. Having to manually reinstate Style Sets each time is very time consuming and prone to omissions/errors. Ensuring that the Style Sets are the same between PCs is similarly laborious.

Interestingly, the project preferences were stored with the project xml so on reinstall and import, they were correct, incorporating our company fonts etc..

Regards: Tom

Just a note: That green cross as a way of adding more items to the menu isn't immediately obvious! Given the delay to that solution, I don't think it was obvious to your support team!

• 9. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
                          Nuri

Hi Tom,

Some answers...

• When VeSys 2.0 Manager runs on your server, it will have several threads (as you have noticed), but if there is no user activity then these threads will remain idle. The Manager and Database services are multi-threaded and can cope with multiple concurrent user requests
                          • You can manually export the styleset using a command line action
                            • C:\MentorGraphics\VeSys\bin\> VeSysPremigrate -d   (this exports)
                            • C:\MentorGraphics\VeSys\bin\> VeSysMigrate -d (this imports)
                            • With the above two actions you will be prompted for a username and password which, unless you have changed it, will be "system" and "manager", also you can save this to your desktop

Thanks,

Nuri

• 10. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
                            thomas.scharf

Does Premigrate -d just export the style set or the whole project and libraries?

• 11. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
                              Nuri

VeSysPremigrate.exe -d exports system data, which for VeSys 2.0 is basically just the style sets (not the projects or libraries).

Thanks,

Nuri

• 12. Re: In Style Sets where has Cross-reference -> Wire-XREF gone?
                                support@caresoftglobal.com

Hi ,

How can i get this doc http://communities.mentor.com/docs/DOC-1573 from this site  , i am getting the following error always .

Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here.