8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 12:03 AM by michael.poerner

scout:  Questions

michael.poerner

Some questions about cross-reference (scout)

1.       What's the use of defining XREF in netlist.prp, when DxDesigner uses XREF-3N1403!

Do we have to define every XREF-nnnnn in netlist.prp?

2.       No manual editing of the XREF-nnnn Property is possible!

3.       [n,n] is not possible! But it was in earlier Versions!

4.       Rotating the value at vertical dangling nets is not possible! But we use a lot of square symbols!

Can anybody help?

Best Regards

• 1. Re: scout:  Questions
          Gary_Lameris

I'll do my best, I am assuming you are using DxDesigner shipped with a recent version of PADS.  Knowing the version number would help.

1.       What's the use of defining XREF in netlist.prp, when DxDesigner uses XREF-3N1403!

Do we have to define every XREF-nnnnn in netlist.prp?

GL- I have never seen this, is there a wrong setting in your scout.ini?

2.       No manual editing of the XREF-nnnn Property is possible!

GL - XREF is often tied to a pin with scout, and not the symbol body.  Have you defined XREF, and XREF1-5 in the netlist.prp file?

3.       [n,n] is not possible! But it was in earlier Versions!

GL- Please explain how you are using this?  I don't understand.

4.       Rotating the value at vertical dangling nets is not possible! But we use a lot of square symbols!

GL - Rotating the value of what property?    I create different views of each symbol, 0, 90, 180 and 270.  I NEVER rotate ANYTHING in DxDesigner (I wish that command did not exist!)  On the 90 and 270 symbols, create a place holder property in the vertical direction.  When the symbol is on the schematic, use RMB reposition properties to orient the text vertically.  Vertical text is possible!

• 2. Re: scout:  Questions
            michael.poerner

Hi

I am using DxDesigner 9.3 PADS Flow.

I am referencing to scout as it was in Version 2007.2 or earlier. In this Version, it was told, it was not possible to add an XREF to an OFFPAGE Symbol.

Then we changed our OFFPAGE Symbol to a graphic. It's no longer an Annotate Symbol, it is just Graphic (2D Line).

So i am using scout to add an XREF to all open Nets.

A Screenshot from a schematic (pdf) done with DxDesigner 2007.2 or earlier.

Please see the scout_explanations.doc in the.zip File.

Also attached in the .zip File is a small TestProject.

Best Regards

Michael

• 3. Re: scout:  Questions
              Gary_Lameris

Thank you, attached is an update of your testcase.

First, symbols should be used for the cross referencing and not dangling nets!  I edited the OFF PAGE symbols graph_in and modified it to graph_in_new for an example.

So specifically what did I do?

1. Edit the XREF property in the .prp file to allow it to also attach to PINS
              2. Added a PIN to the graph_in_new symbol set.
              3. Added the XREF property to the pin on the symbol.
              4. Moved the symbol origin to the edge of the pin (this assists in placing the pin on the schematic)
              5. Noted you use San Serif Bold as a font, SCOUT will only place to font1 which is normally fixed.  If you copy the sfb.stk file to your widr and rename it fixed.stk, font 1 will now be San Serif Bold.
              6. Edited the scout.ini file to record and place to the symbols.  In scout.ini, the property ORIGIN setting must match the symbol!
              7. Disabled mapped fonts in DxPDF
              8. Ran scout, selected symbols and repositioned properties - note vertical text correctly positioned!!!

I did not succeed in adding the [ ], but I believe I have addressed every other issue posted.

Did you know that a new cross referencer is being added into DxDesigner!  At the moment it only works with flat schematic sheets.  If your company does not use hierarchy, then investigate the new LINK feature and Xref Annotation properties!

Gary Lameris

scout.png

• 4. Re: scout:  Questions
                michael.poerner

Wow ! Incerdible.

Starting with our new Product Line, i will use the XREF as you explained it.

Everything is fine, exept Point 8.

When i try it with the Project you send back to me, the XREF do not turn automatically.

Should it turn automatically?

If not, i understand you ran scout, then select all the Symbols graph_in_new, RMB Reposition properties.

But this also dont turns the XREF.

Can you tell me once again, do they have to turn automatically or do i have to turn them by hand.

The [] dosn't matter.

The fonts is another story, we should change them.

(Back in 1996, when we started using Viewdraw, it was the fastest font on screen.)

Regards Michael

• 5. Re: scout:  Questions
                  Gary_Lameris

To clarify 8, no the property does not turn automatically, I selected all symbols and used RMB reposition properties.  I will investigate scripting this to improve the automation, but I have a couple of other tasks to look at first.  I just tried it again in DxDesigner for PADS9.3 and I was successful, if it continues not to rotate, try making a back up of your dxdesigner.xml files and let the tool recreate new files and see if the properties rotate then.

I did use rotated symbols, graph_in_new.2 and graph_in_new.4 for the rotations, and these symbols have a rotated property placeholder XREF.

Gary Lameris

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: scout:  Questions
                    michael.poerner

OK, i closed DxDesigner, renamed dxdesigner.xml to dxdesigner.xmlold, reopened DxDesigner, and loaded our testcase.

No dexdesigner.xml was created, or not in the standard path.

To check the repositioning i just moved the numbers (2,3) a little bit, and made RMB Reposition Properties. But nothing is repositioned.

For the future, i do not plan to use graph_in.1  graph_in.2  graph_in.3  graph_in.4.

I prefer to use graph_in_l.1  graph_in_r.1  graph_in_u.1  graph_in_d.1. In this way i see the direction in the Symbol name.

Will this also work?

By the way, i remarked that, also with this new manner of doing the XREF, they are not editable manualy. Right?

-->Edit 20.4.2011 12.05 If i select the Pin of the Offpage Symbol, i can edit the XREF Value. Cool !

Michael

• 7. Re: scout:  Questions
                      Gary_Lameris

Create a support request on why RMB properties aren't working.

'I prefer to use graph_in_l.1  graph_in_r.1  graph_in_u.1  graph_in_d.1. In this way i see the direction in the Symbol name.

Will this also work?"

Yes  the  above works.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: scout:  Questions
                        michael.poerner

Error on my side. When scout.ini is correct, the RMB Reposition Properties works very fine.

Now everthing is OK. We can continue to work with the new OffPage Symbols.

A script to turn the XREF Property at the up and down Symbols, would be very nice.

But it is not 100% needed for us.

Michael