8 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 1:09 AM by martin.j.thompson

Am I alone in thinking that DXDesigner's symbol rotation is awful?

martin.j.thompson

Just migrated from DesignView to DXD, and I discover that the effort I had gone to to make my symbols (esp. discretes) rotate and have their text properties placed nicely around the newly rotated symbols is now defunct.  As far as I can tell DXD has no way to rotate a symbol other than to just spin everything around.  Even replacing a symbol doesn't work as if you override the text propeties from the library, you change the positioning nicely, but the values get overwritten with whatever placeholders are in the library (except for the refdes if you tick the right box).

Surely I'm not the only one who think this is broken behaviour?  A schematic capture tool ought to provide just the functionality that DV did - allow the librarian to set up the properties once tidyly and everyone gets the benefit?

Cheers,
      Martin

• 1. Re: Am I alone in thinking that DXDesigner's symbol rotation is awful?
          Vern_Wnek

Martin,

Although I must agree with you on some level, DxDesigner has the capability you need, and is easily workable.

For DxDesigner, when I build libraries, I create multiple symbols in the rotations I need. I also place the text as I need it located upon placement. See the attached pictures. When placing from DxDatabook or the CL View, use the Symbol pulldown in the Preview window to choose the correct rotation symbol you need, (yes this is an extra step). Your symbol will maintain the text locations upon placement - but unfortunately, if you rotate the part your text will be rotated also, and possibly incorrectly to your needs.

cap1.pngcap2.png

cap3.pngcap4.png

I would suggest using the Mentor Ideas site and file an IDEA for Rotation of symbols and symbol creation similar to the method of "Composites" in the Design Capture tool from Mentor. This method removes the step of choosing the correct symbol rotation prior to placing, and handles rotation much better after placement.

Ideas Site Link:

https://mentorideas.brightidea.com/dxdesigner

Good Luck,

Vern Wnek

• 2. Re: Am I alone in thinking that DXDesigner's symbol rotation is awful?
            Vern_Wnek

Martin,

After doing some research, I found this on the IDEAS site:

https://mentorideas.brightidea.com/ct/ct_a_view_idea.bix?c=FDA2FA5D-237C-48D7-A66F-5DA754706D6C&idea_id=965AD937-DC35-48AC-97CB-50B6BB8C8564

It appears my suggestion to you is already under consideration, imagine that !

Good Luck,

Vern Wnek

• 3. Re: Am I alone in thinking that DXDesigner's symbol rotation is awful?
              martin.j.thompson

Vern,

I'm well aware of these "features" of DXD (I've been going through this with my friendly local support, who are as lawys very helpful, but have led me to exactly the conclusion I stated above).

Th epoint is that the way DXD "works" is dreadfully inefficient.

Having to choose the rotation when I place a component is the wrong time to have to do it.  And not being able to just grab a copy of an existing symbol and spin it into place is a step backwards for productivity.

How is DXD offered as a replacement for DV when it lacks such basic functionality?  It feels like going back to the AcePlus days (which was a looooong time ago!)

Schematic capture is (in my mind) about presenting a clear, tidy and useful representation of a netlist for engineers to *use*.  DV enabled me to do that. DXD feels like "it's a prettier environment than a text editor, but that's about it"

Sorry, but I happen to feel strongly about this! It amazes me that this is still an issue having been raised so long ago already!

• 4. Re: Am I alone in thinking that DXDesigner's symbol rotation is awful?
                martin.j.thompson

"Under consideration" - excuse me if I don't hold my breath.  The statements from Mentor there seem pretty clear that this is low priority.

• 5. Re: Am I alone in thinking that DXDesigner's symbol rotation is awful?
                  robert_davies

Just for clarification on the status of DxDesigner Ideas. When we review the ideas we take in to consideration the number of votes and also whether the Idea is already something we have been looking at enhancing as part of our roadmap for the product. If this is the case we move the Idea to 'Under Consideration' and then include it in our planning process. We then have to review a number of factors when planning the implementation, how much engineering resource it will take, whether there is a workaround to the issue (lowers the priority a little) and impact across the flow. Once we have a firm commitment from engineering the Idea will move to ''Planned', this means it is being actively worked on and will be available in a forthcoming release, it does not necessarily mean the next release, it might be a long development.

We release software approximately twice a year and the planning process for the release occurs about nine months ahead of the release date which is why an idea may be Under Consideration for some time, but if we have no intention of addressing an issue, for whatever reason, it will be moved to 'Out of scope'. Other Ideas will remain in 'Received' and go through the voting process, if they gain enough support we will consider them based on the above factors. If they do not gain much support they will eventually be archived.

As to this particular Idea, it is not low priority but does require significant changes to several areas of the tools which have been assessed, so watch this space.

• 6. Re: Am I alone in thinking that DXDesigner's symbol rotation is awful?
                    martin.j.thompson

Thanks for that clarification Robert - I'll not hold my breath, but I will cross my fingers

Cheers,

Martin

• 7. Re: Am I alone in thinking that DXDesigner's symbol rotation is awful?
                      Vern_Wnek

Martin,

My apologies, I was not stating that I did not agree with you. But as a Mentor employee, I do need to let others know that there is a workable solution available in DxDesigner, although not as efficient as in Design Capture. This issue has been on the radar for Mentor for sometime, even before there was an IDEAS site. As Robert stated, there are priorities and huge amounts of engineering that go into changes of this magnitude. If you go into the way back machine ;-), DxDesigner was not originally a Mentor tool when most of us began using it - and it did not have the DC feature then. It takes time for engineering to "Suck In" all of the nice bits from their other tools inorder to create a World Class tool such as DxDesigner. Now that I am on the inside, I see how much work it really is.

Thanks,

Vern Wnek

• 8. Re: Am I alone in thinking that DXDesigner's symbol rotation is awful?
                        martin.j.thompson

Thanks for continuing the discussion Vern - I'm happy that Mentor engages with us users in the way it does!  I've a few more things to add, but this forum is probably not the place for them - if you'd like to drop me a direct email, maybe we can continue there?

Cheers,
                        Martin