3 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2011 5:17 AM by robert_davies

7.9.1 update 12... what happened to the not-connected pins?

davide.camerano

In old 2005 version, to design a symbol of an I.C. with one or more not-connected pins, the NC=x,y,... attribute has to be used. Creating the part in the central library, the library manager read the NC attribute and maps the N.C. pin correctly.

Now in 2007 version the NC attribute/property does not exist anymore, and the N.C. pins are not described in the symbol. Creating the part, the packager compares the pins of the cell with the pins of the symbol and authomatically identifies the N.C. pins.

With the last update (10, 11 or 12 I don't know because I have installed only the 12) this changed, but I could not find naything about this in the documentation or in the release notes: I created the part of the ADG1221 dual analog switches. A 10-pin component with the pin 7 not connected. When I create the part, at the end, closing the pin mapping window, an error message appears: "The part is not complete because pin(s) are not mapped". If I switch to the "Supply and NC" tab I find that the pin 7 is not mapped.

I map it as No-connect, and then I can close the part. That's OK, but why with the previous updates the library manager did it authomatically and now this must be done manually?

Ok... now let's add some difficulties. I have made two symbols for the ADG1221: one represent the complete IC. The other one represent a single switch and is made by two slots. When I create the part with only the complete symbol or with only the 2-slots symbol, then the above described method works. But when I try to create the part including both the symbols (a method that I used lot of times) then, when I run the packager, an error shows up :

PDB ERROR: Some pins of symbol analog:adg1221 were not mapped to gates
      on part number 13260653.132.
      If a Parts DataBase other than the local one is corrected,
      please be sure to run Packager in the overwrite mode or
      Forward Annotation in the 'Replace Local Parts' mode. Otherwise, be
      sure not to use these modes or the corrections will be lost.

Does this mean that is not more possible to describe a part with more alternative symbols? Or there is a new method to do this?

Someone can help me, please?

regards

Davide

• 1. Re: 7.9.1 update 12... what happened to the not-connected pins?
          robert_davies

I don't believe any deliberate changes have been made to this functionality in the 7.9.1 update releases. As a general note the use of NC on the symbol is unnecessary in the EE flow, it is a hang-over from the 2005 netlist days, it is entirely up to you whether you continue to use it as a matter of convenience when mapping parts. The general premise of the EE part mapping functionality is to provide flexibility in assigning common symbols to different footprints (cells) which may require diffrent mappings for NC and supply pins. By leaving only placeholders for pin numbers in the symbol definition you do not restrict yourself to a specific symbol for each footprint.

As to the second issue with different representations for the symbol, full-gate and single-gate, this too should not have changed and should work providing you map the smaller symbol first in the library.

• 2. Re: 7.9.1 update 12... what happened to the not-connected pins?
            davide.camerano

Robert, about the NC property: I think it is not an option to continue to use it in 2007, because the property it not more present in the allowed property list.... so I think that this is why is not more supported.

About the other issues: I used to generate the parts in the correct way, with more symbols, as you wrote, but now I'm thinking that there is a bug and it is not more possible with the latest update. Also the parts that I already have in my library will not package correctly? What do you suggest? Do I have to open a service request?

regards and thank you

Davide

• 3. Re: 7.9.1 update 12... what happened to the not-connected pins?
              robert_davies

I would suggest you do contact Customer Support for the packaging issue, this has not changed and should still be working.

Rob