1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 1:10 AM by Joel_Pointon

How does VeSys calculate resistances of components?

schubert_brian

Can anyone tell me how VeSys calculates the resistance for certain components such as a fuse or a relay?

I have been trying to figure out how to change the voltage drop across one relay without changing all of the relays.

The same thing goes for fuses and connectors.  I thought I would be able to change the resistance of each individual component if I so desired but I don't think it can be done in VeSys classic.

All I can see is the default resistances for connectors, earths, switches, relays, and splices.  But these of affect all of my connectors, relays, etc.  and I see no way to change an individual connector or relay etc.

I see that I can make electrical parts in the components database but am only allowed to set the voltage and current ratings and VeSys will not show me the resistance value that it will use.  I do not see any way to set the resistance of a connector in the components database so I'm assuming its not possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Brian

• 1. Re: How does VeSys calculate resistances of components?
          Joel_Pointon

You are correct that it isn't possible to change individual resistance values you can only set them at the component level.  The simulation in VeSys Classic was originally designed for automotive vehicles and had to be simple, easy to use and fast which is why many of the settings are general.  In the typical simulation scenario's where VeSys is used this isn't normally a problem because the wires have the largest impact on the voltage drop.  Another problem when trying to create a simulation model is that there are many real world factors that you just can't account for i.e. Component Tolerances, Build Quality, Corrosion, etc.  When I was testing VeSys I compared the results to actual vehicles to my surprise the results from two identical vehicles differed by 6% so for us the ability to configure individual component resistances then became irrelevant.

I guess it really depends on what you are trying to simulate and your reasons for simulation.

The simulation in VeSys 2.0 is more configurable in that you can define individual component resistances but I have found that simulation/setup to be more complicated than VeSys Classic, if you have a recent/valid VeSys Classic license you should be able to download VeSys 2.0 and try it.