1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 1:12 AM by Joel_Pointon

Using Drawing Zones

schubert_brian

I have a very large harness drawing that uses multiple pages.  I would like to be able to make use of the Wire Table, Drawing Locations attribute to let me know on which page a wire is located. 

However, it seems that I can only define a Drawing Zone for a single border.  I can not repeat the drawing zone on multiple pages.

Another solution would be to make each drawing zone as big as a single page.  However, there is a maximum size of 1000 for the drawing zones which is smaller than the size of each page.

The only other solution I see is to use wire breaks since they get updated based on the sheet number and not the drawing zones.  Of course this is not an easy solution and requires too much busy work.

Was VeSys classic just never designed for large harnesses?

Is there any way I can get the wire table properties to show what page a wire is on?

• 1. Re: Using Drawing Zones
          Joel_Pointon

Hi Brian,

VeSys Classic was designed to support large harnesses, the problem you are experiencing due to the original customer requirement for the "Drawing Zone" feature (this would have been about 8 or so years ago).  At the time it was implemented the customer base typically had 1 large drawing showing the whole harness, it wasn't split across multiple sheets and so only 1 drawing zone was required (this is also why there is no "Bundle Break" functionality in Harness). At the time having the "Drawing Zone" independant from the drawing frame made it simpler and easier for the customers because they didn't have to create a mapping of the zones to each frame every time a new frame was used.

A workaround that has been employed by multi-sheet users is to create a very large drawing zone that will span across all frames, for example if a drawing frame was 10 zones wide and were labelled numerically they could be listed as

Sheet 1                                     Sheet 2

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,_,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20

Because there is a gap between drawing frames a simple character is used to create an extra spacer column in the zones (in this case I used _ ).  If you wanted the sheet name included there is no reason why it couldn't read:

1-1, 1-2, 1-3,1-4,1-5,1-6,1-7,1-8,1-9,1-10,_2-1,2-2,2-3,2-4,2-5,2-6,2-7,2-8,2-9,2-10

Hope this helps!

Joel