2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 5:23 AM by yu.yanfeng

It seems it is a common issue that Expeditionpcb CCZ output will make Expeditionpcb crashed if the design is big and complex.

yu.yanfeng

It seems it is a common issue that Expeditionpcb CCZ output will make Expeditionpcb crashed if the design is big and complex. I have verified this on 2 designs on 7.9.2. We didn't try to output CCZ before 7.9.2, and don't know whehter previous versions having same symptom, but i think previous versions may have same symptom.

This is maybe a capacity issue. Normally  Mentor will say it's ok if you use Windows 7 X64 With 8G. My machine is a 3.0GHz Duo Core with 4G memory(/3G in boot.ini).  I have logged on the supportnet and I believe Mentor will ask the test data

Yanfeng

• 1. Re: It seems it is a common issue that Expeditionpcb CCZ output will make Expeditionpcb crashed if the design is big and complex.
          yu.yanfeng

Upon on the request, 2 testcases are provided. one is larger size, another is more components but less size. All will make Expeditionpcb crashed while output CCZ file( you have to delete some graphcis objects or make plane shapes as draft to shrink the memory footrprint, which make Expeditionpcb still works). the SR is # 2413661145 .

I hope Mentor engieering and TM managers to check it. Why user migrate to new layout PCB platform? From my viewpoint is that old platfrom haven't capacity to deal with big and complex design in an effecitve way.

Yanfeng

• 2. Re: It seems it is a common issue that Expeditionpcb CCZ output will make Expeditionpcb crashed if the design is big and complex.
            yu.yanfeng

Mentor CSE asked the testcases and confirmed one of testcase indeed make Expeditionpcb crashed during exporting CCZ file on Windows XP with 4GB memory, but  on Windows X64 with 4GB memoryboth testcases don't make Expeditionpcb crashed.  After receiving this feedback, I borrowed  a Dell 5500 workstation with 24GB memory  and Windows 2008 R2 X64  OS installed, indeed Expedtiinpcb CCZ output run very well. I noticed that  over 4.2GB memory be allocated by Expeditionpcb and other programs. While generating silkscreen, I noticed tha over 5.3GB memory be allocatd by Expeditionpcb and other programs.  I known that 4G is the limit for 32 application. I don't know if the design get more complex and more big size( suppose a board of 48 layers, 800mm x 800mm, 120k pins),how Expeditionpcb performs? Due to Expeditioncb'nature of postive plane type, whatever CCZ,Gerber or ODB++,all are big data.

I also notice CAM350 V10.2 and Gerber tool 16.1,CAMCAD 4.9 also crashed while importing the big odb++ data of my testcase on Window XP box, only Valor's tool can perform very well. I tried to run CAMCAD on the Windows 2008 R2 box, CAMCAD can import in the big odb++ data.

In China mainland, I also notice most of engineering only have a 2GB memory Windows XP pc and a few have 4GB Windows pc.  But for running Expeditionpcb, it seems a must to have a Window 7 X 64 box with 4G up memory.

Yanfeng