8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 8:41 AM by wolferm

Ref Designators not to be visible

wolferm

Hello All,

Making a Ref Des not visible I see two options.

Some from other systems because you could not actually make them invisible you had to make the text say 1mil x 1mil

so it becomes a non readible dot.

However in PADS we have the ability to "SHOW" either value, name & value, full name & value or none.

My question is I have seen it done both ways with designs I have had to take over on.

If you have the ability to do "none" why wouldn't you?

I see that once you set it to none however it is gone, I would think then if you wanted it back you wopuld have to add another label back correct?

Just wondering what effects this has on database of design, with the "none" option it still is considered that designator in the the design

just not displaying it correct?

Reason I ask is other systems let you make it "Visible" or not, in my mind a better term or way of doing it.

It seems in PADS this may actually be removing the designator label? & like asked need to add it back, but still keeping record of it in system?

I've been setting it to "none" but really wwanted a better understanding of how PADS really is handling this?

Or which really is the better or recommended means to make a Ref Des invisible in PADS?

Thanks

Bob

• 1. Re: Ref Designators not to be visible
          jmatthews

Removing them doesn't affect the design, they're still associated with the parts.

Ways to make a designator invisible in PADS:

1. Delete them (Set filter to "Labels" only, and select them. Beware that this can also result in the deleting of any visible attributes, as they can get selected.

2. In the color setup dialog:  Turn them off (preferred). Note that this will NOT remove them from the Gerbers unless you follow 5 or 6.

3. In the color setup dialog: Make them the same as the background color (not the best option). Note that this will NOT remove them from the Gerbers unless you follow 5 or 6.

4. Move them to an unused layer (Set filter to "Labels" only, and select all, then query them and change the layer - you can use any layer). Good if you think you may want them back....

5. For Gerbers: Do not select them in CAM.

6. Alternate for Gerbers: Suppress them in CAM. This is usually reserved for selective removal.

• 2. Re: Ref Designators not to be visible
            wolferm

Totally forgot about the suppress function in CAM output. Thanks

It is not all Designators just mechanical parts like Card Ejectors, Mounting Holes, Fiducials, etc.

So by assigning Z or MT or FD etc yes just those can be suppressed in CAM output,

or usign the "None" in the design would be proper options. Just using color in design

yes would still get them into gerber, just not visible in design.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Ref Designators not to be visible
              jmatthews

Honestly, for things like fiducials, mounting holes, card ejectors and the like, I just delete the designators. Don't have to worry about them after that.

And it unclutters my board a little when everything is visible.

• 4. Re: Ref Designators not to be visible
                wolferm

Yes I hear ya.

Less clutter is usually a good thing, although my desk does not seem to live by that rule.

• 5. Re: Ref Designators not to be visible
                  David Ricketts

Just as a little terminology clarification: Ref Des is an Attribute. A Label is how you make the Attribute visible. So when you change the value for Show, that only affects the Label visibility and format. None of the Show settings delete the Label. Setting it to None makes it not visible, but it's still there. Use Component Properties and the Labels tab to change it back to Visible (if Ref. Des. doesn't appear in the drop down box, then it was deleted). This is my preferred method.

It's only when you select the label directly and then delete it is the label removed. It has to be re-created if you need it back. However, adding labels is very easy, and can be done with any number of components at once, so it's really a matter of preference. I'm not sure if one method is "better" than the other. As long as you understand the mechanisms, you can make an informed decision as to what's best for you.

• 6. Re: Ref Designators not to be visible
                    wolferm

Dave,

Thanks also that was exactly what I wanted to know, but the reason I wanted to know was I saw no way to make that Ref Des visible again

without adding it back. I did not delete it directly, all I did was use show and selected "None". However when you go the

component attributes and look at labels tab ther si nothing there I saw this before and that is why I wondered what is really]

happening here. I saw no way other than recreate to get that designator back if needed. Just trying to figure out how it really worked.

Using method of just selecting "none" looks to me like there is still no way other than adding the label back. But like you said that is easy.

Wasn't necesarily looking for easiest way, but if there was a prefered method for PADS.

Thanks

Bob

• 7. Re: Ref Designators not to be visible
                      David Ricketts

I pointed you to how to get it back: "Use Component Properties and the Labels tab to change it back to Visible (if Ref. Des. doesn't appear in the drop down box, then it was deleted)."

As far as PCB Design in general, it's difficult to define a preferred method for any procedure, much less supressing reference designators, so just proceed with the method you're most comfortable with. I prefer to set the visibility to "None" for most components, but I also delete the label for mounting holes and fiducials, just because it's quicker.

• 8. Re: Ref Designators not to be visible
                        wolferm

Dave,

Operator Error, asleep at the wheel,  I see it now, you actually needed to double click Ref Des Icon in that menu, I was hitting attributes after and of course getting nothing.

Works just as you described, thanks, I now see the full picture.

Thanks

Bob