Position Overview & Responsibilities
NI’s PCB Design team is involved in the design and layout of almost all of NI’s shipping hardware – some of the most advanced hardware in the industry. As the company’s designs have increased in sophistication, PCB Design has responded by identifying and implementing new PCB materials and technologies to continue to offer higher performing products in smaller packages.
This individual will design high density printed circuit boards in a dynamic environment requiring a diverse skill set. They will interact with each product team’s Electrical, Mechanical, Test, and Manufacturing Engineers. The successful candidate will be a team player and willing to work in an environment that embraces continual process and technological improvement. They will learn to balance technical requirements with business requirements.
Please Note: National Instruments does petition for H-1B status from student visas for this position
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Electronics or Computer Engineering or an Associate’s Degree in Electronics with a minimum of 7 years of experience in the design of printed circuit boards
• Excellent communication skills including excellent oral and written English
• Great teamwork and an ability to interact with Mechanical, Manufacturing, Electrical and Compliance Engineering
• Creative, visual problem and puzzle solver
• Has a very strong attention to detail
• Delivers quality work on time
• Good initiative and proactively shares accurate information with those who need it
Technical Skills Summary:
• Designs printed circuit boards (PCBs) from electrical schematics and requirements
• Knowledge of CAD editor
• Knowledge of high-speed electrical inputs/rules
• Applies general best practices to designs
• Understands signal integrity practices
• Familiarity with CES (Constraint Editor System) or constraint-based design
• Learns to apply “Design for Manufacturing” rules to design
• Adheres to Mechanical input with an understanding of constraints given and an ability to question constraints with reason
• Understands how a PCB is fabricated
• Mentor Graphics Expedition experience helpful
About NI - Employ Your Imagination at National Instruments
National Instruments (www.ni.com), a technology pioneer and industry leader in virtual instrumentation for 34 years, delivers LabVIEW graphical software and open, modular instrumentation hardware for design, simulation, control, test, and manufacturing. Engineers and scientists in hundreds of industries use flexible, high-performance NI products to create reliable user-defined systems throughout the product design cycle to reduce time to market and lower development costs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, NI has more than 5,100 employees worldwide, direct operations in more than 40 countries, and $677 M in 2009 revenue. FORTUNE named NI one of the '100 Best Companies to Work For' in America for the past 11 consecutive years; in June 2008 and May 2007 ELECTRONIC DESIGN named NI a “Top Industry Companies to Work For;" and in Fall 2008 and 2006 BusinessWeek named NI to its "Best Places to Launch A Career" lists.
National Instruments is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer an excellent work environment, and a competitive and well-rounded compensation and benefits package, including an on-site medical clinic; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401(K) with NI match; profit sharing; restricted stock plan; employee discounted stock purchase plan; on-site fitness center and wellness program; and much more.