9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 10:40 PM by clifford

A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage

clifford

- Does vesys harness support measuring from a single reference node? See the highlighted measurements shown below (FIGURE-1),

- Can the insulation tube in vesys be denoted the same as shown in (FIGURE-1), i.e. can we have the insulation with a fill pattern?

FIGURE-1.jpg

FIGURE-1

-   Connector table (FIGURE-2) shown below, is it possible to customize the table, i.e. change the column title and have customer specific data in one of the columns?

FIGURE-2.jpg

FIGURE-2

---  -     Terminals don’t show up in the BOM report, see the attached, how do we get the terminals listed in the BOM - (Lumen-HILUX-BOM.pdf)

• 1. Re: A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage
          mike_templeman

Hello Clifford,

I'd like to try and answer some of your questions:

- Does vesys harness support measuring from a single reference node? See the highlighted measurements shown below (FIGURE-1),

VeSys 2.0 includes total bundle dimensions (in red below) and inner dimensions e.g. where a splice or a clip is located along a bundle (blue dimensions) - does this answer your question?

bundle-dimensions.JPG

- Can  the insulation tube in vesys be denoted the same as shown in  (FIGURE-1), i.e. can we have the insulation with a fill pattern?

There are a number of insulation line patterns supplied but it is possible to customise these to look like the pattern you have.  You will need to create a glyph for this.

-   Connector  table (FIGURE-2) shown below, is it possible to customize the table,  i.e. change the column title and have customer specific data in one of  the columns?

You can customise the table by using the Style Set - this allows you to control how things gets displayed on your drawings in VeSys. Try right-clicking on the table > Style > Edit Style... then on the right hand side choose Edit

style-set-table-columns.JPG

From here you can tick or untick columns, and rename column headings (double click on the value under the Display Title column)

-     Terminals  don’t show up in the BOM report, see the attached, how do we get the  terminals listed in the BOM - (Lumen-HILUX-BOM.pdf)

Try running Cavity Component Selection from under the Tools command on the menu bar.  This will allow you to automatically pull in the correct terminal for the connector and wire combination.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2. Re: A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage
            clifford

***Does Vesys harness support measuring from a single reference node?***

>>VeSys 2.0 includes total bundle dimensions (in red below) and inner dimensions e.g. where a splice or a clip is located along a bundle (blue dimensions) - does this answer your question?
            http://communities.mentor.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/4872/243-90/bundle-dimensions.JPG

>>>We require all measures from a single starting point, this is different to what is suggested. The customer expects; if we use the left/right side of a harness drawing as the reference, all measures of dimensions should be w.r.t that reference.

***Can the insulation tube in vesys be denoted the same as shown in  (FIGURE-1), i.e. can we have the insulation with a fill pattern?***

>>There are a number of insulation line patterns supplied but it is possible to customise these to look like the pattern you have.  You will need to create a glyph for this.

>>>Can you please elaborate the steps to incorporate a glyph

***Connector table (FIGURE-2) shown below, is it possible to customize the table,  i.e. change the column title and have customer specific data in one of  the columns?***

>>You can customise the table by using the Style Set - this allows you to control how things gets displayed on your drawings in VeSys. Try right-clicking on the table > Style > Edit Style... then on the right hand side choose Edit

http://communities.mentor.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/4873/314-311/style-set-table-columns.JPG

>>>This is good. Any suggestions on how we add rows and how do we customize the contents of the column?

***Terminals don’t show up in the BOM report, see the attached, how do we get the  terminals listed in the BOM - (Lumen-HILUX-BOM.pdf***

>>Try running Cavity Component Selection from under the Tools command on the menu bar.  This will allow you to automatically pull in the correct terminal for the connector and wire combination.

>>>I am not sure I have got this, Please see the steps followed below
            a: Selected connector terminal material, (see Figure 3) attached image

CM.png

Figure 3

b: Generated the BOM Report (see Figure 4) , apparently the *terminal* information doesnt show up!

BOM-R.png

Figure 4

• 3. Re: A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage
              Muhammad_Askar

Hi Clifford

Please let me know if the responses below do not fully answer your queries:

1. Dimensions: I am afraid there is no automated way to achieve this in VeSys 2.0 that I know of. A sister product to VeSys 2.0; Capital, does offer a method by which a similar view to the one you're looking for can be achieved. It looks like the shot below, but it is only available with Capital HarnessXC Dimensions.
                SNAG-0312.png
              2. Insulation styling (glyphs): Please check Document1 and Document2 on the best practice section for more information on how to use this functionality.
              3. Connector (Cavity) table: In VeSys 2.0, you can change existing columns attributes (such as title, visibility, etc.) but not add new columns. In Capital HarnessXC, custom tables can be created using Java plugins which can be configured to have extra columns as needed. In VeSys 2.0, however, you can write a custom report that would display the connectors on the design and a table next to each one with the required columns added.
              4. Terminal selection and appearance on BOM: From the shot below, there are no terminals selected; this is indicated by column "Terminal P/N" being empty. You may need to click on Cavity Component Selection, but please make sure there are terminals in the housing definition of the connector that fit the wires terminating into its cavities first - this is a prerequisite so terminals can be selected automatically.

Thanks

Muhammad

• 4. Re: A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage
                Muhammad_Askar

Hi Clifford,

I also recommend that you watch the following test drives (VeSys window: Help menu > IESD Academy > Test Drives):

• Interactive Design
                • Styling in VeSys
                • VeSys Components

I think they will be of benefit in understanding the different use cases I mentioned in my reply above.

Thanks

Muhammad

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage
                  clifford

Hi Muhammad,

Thanks for the suggestions below. I iwll try these out and get back to you if I have further questions!

Regards,

Clifford

• 6. Re: A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage
                    sarah_appleby

Hi Clifford,

I've created 3 technotes within our Knowledge Base for the issues discussed here, please see the references below:

Mg 554505 - Does VeSys harness support measuring from a single reference node?

Mg 554506 - Is it possible to customize the Connector table, i.e. change the column title and have customer specific data in one of the columns?

Mg 243313 - Creating custom linestyles from insulation in Capital Harness XC and VeSys Harness Products

These items will be available via Support Net if you need to revisit them.

Thanks

Sarah

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage
                      clifford

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for documenting the previous recommendations, I am clear on the 3 appnotes provided in your reply. I require further clarification with point 4 in the original discussion i.e. **Terminal selection and appearance on BOM**. See the attached document and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Regards,

Clifford

• 8. Re: A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage
                        sarah_appleby

Hi Clifford,

Looking at the document you've provided, you have placed the terminal as a wire end component rather than as a cavity component.  Please do the following:

1) Remove the part off the end of the wire

2) Go to Tools\Cavity Component Management

3) Select all the nodes within the Components section

1.jpg

4) Press the Cavity Part Selection

5) The processed column will change from No to Yes

6) Select the node where the component exists

7) The table at the bottom of the dialogue will show which terminals have been selected

2.jpg

8) Generate the Wire List, it will also show the terminals

3.jpg

• 9. Re: A few questions on vesys 2.0 usage
                          clifford

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply, I definitely did make progress, but the terminals dont show up in the report. Can you spare 20 mins for a conference call? Let me know when you get online?

Clifford