3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 1:54 AM by vikramc1989

compare schematics

thomson.lu

I have 2 versions of schematics(sbk file) which are designed by DesignCapture. I want to make sure if these 2 schematics are complete same.

Does anybody know a easy way to compare these 2 schematics?  it's time consuming to manually compare each page of them.

• 1. Re: compare schematics
          thomson.lu

Is there a netlist comparison function in DesignCapture ? or expedition PCB ?

If this function does exist, maybe i can export the netlist of each schematics first, then use this tool to compare 2 netlists.

Can somebody help me? Thanks in advance. 

• 2. Re: compare schematics
            chris.smith

We have been using a tool called DocTar by Cadalist Enterprises LLC,

http://www.cadalist-enterprises.com/applications/doctar/index.htm

www.cad-e.com

This tool is very flexible and can review multiple netlist formats and evern "unencrypted" hkp files.

The output results are in a clean XLS and HTML layout which we are very satisfied.

We have used this tool for several years and we have saved several thousand $ by preventing

errors in schematic changes, defect detections in the iCDB & potential bad designs.

Chris Smith

Application Support Analyst | PCB Services

National Instruments |www.ni.com

chris.smith@ni.com

What is Doctar?

Doctar is a PCB comparison tool that takes the ASCII or netlist output from 2 design sources and labels the distinct

differences between them in a Excel and/or HTML base output.

This tool can also do comparisons between Gencad (MFG placement files), Netlists and the following formats:

PCAD, Protel, GenCAD, OrCAD,PADS PowerPCB, Allegro, Expedition, BoardStation

What differences can it detect?

 Pins: added, deleted or moved to a new x/y location, renamed, renumbered

 Components: added, deleted, rotated, renamed or moved to a new x/y location, values and tolerances changed

 Etch Lengths: etch length changes sorted from longest to shortest

 Test points: added, deleted or moved to a new x/y location, assigned to new net, multiple test points on a net,

single pin nets, test points too close to a deleted probe location

 BOMs: new, changed and retired components reported by RefDes, part number and quantity

 Netlists: component & connection changes (add, delete, renames, single pin nets

doctarreview.png

• 3. Re: compare schematics
              vikramc1989

Hi ,

Is there any free version of tool that could compare netlist and BOM files