4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 6:01 AM by Sysign

Mapping Pins between Symbol and Component

aehrmantraut

Is it possible attach a cavity name to a pin when making a symbol and then have it auto generate to the connector when mapping the footprint to the device?  Rather than having to manually map every pin.  There is a cavity name attribute in a symbol pin but it doesnt map.

• 1. Re: Mapping Pins between Symbol and Component
          Nuri

Hi,

It is not possible to define the harness connector association within the Symbol editor, however within VeSys 2.0 Components you can create a "footprint" that defines the connector(s) mating relationship with the device.  Have you explored this?

Thanks,

Nuri

• 2. Re: Mapping Pins between Symbol and Component
            aehrmantraut

Interesting, so why is there an attribute in a symbol pin for connector cavity and group?  Maybe there is an idea.  My biggest beef with Vesys is all the effort it takes to put in pins on a footprint.  Is there a way to upload a large pinlist or something similar into a footprint?  I am dealing with 100+ pin connectors on a regular basis.

• 3. Re: Mapping Pins between Symbol and Component
              Nuri

Keep an eye out for VeSys 2.0 v2010.2 SP1107, this service release for VeSys 2.0 includes some usability improvements for editing / creating footprints in the library - I hope this will ease the pain.

Kind Regards,

Nuri

• 4. Re: Mapping Pins between Symbol and Component
                Sysign

Hi,

I frequently use the auto-mapping feature when creating large multi-pin (and multi-connector) device footprints but it takes a little planning up front.  First, try to organize the external pins on your device symbol so they are in the alpha or numeric order that matches the footprint connector(s).  If that's a problem, you can re-sequence the pin list when creating the device in your component library.  Once the pin listings are in order, you can rely on the auto-mapping feature to quickly generate your footprint connector applications.

Hope that helps,

-James