4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2011 3:26 PM by David Ricketts

PDF Configuration questions

mclark

I'm just starting to play with this feature and it appears to be lacking some features.  I will list these below, if anyone knows how to implment these; I would appreciate knowing also.

1) Suppress reference designators - In the CAM routines you can easily suppress a reference designator from appearing in a output.  Frequently I have mounting holes, fiducials and other components that I may not want the reference designators displayed when generating the assembly views.  I cannot find out if this is possible in the create PDF section.

2) Controling output size / view - It appears that all views are based on overall view of the design (i.e. Alt-Ctrl-E of the design, not home).  At the top level, you can select the justification, scaling optoins, orientataion, and Color Scheme for the PDF.  When you are creating the specifics for a page your options are just the justification and scaling.  If you have a title block around the drawing or notes on different layers (other than the one you are currently configuring); the area required for these affects the size of the layer you are  working on (even if scale to fit is selected).  Is there a way I can get just the information I am currently configuring to control the overall size of the drawing on the page?  Here is an example:  The current board I am working on if I use the verify plots routine I can scale 3:2 to get the assembly drawing blown up and fill a letter size page (150%).  If I do this scaling in the PDF configuration sections sections of the board get cut off the edge, and the drawing is skewed based on the layers not visible.

From what I have seen, there appears to be a lot more contol of the drawing in the CAM routines.  I would like the capabilities of an intelligent PDF for my assembly drawings but for some of my smaller boards this will not be possible.  This is due to the scalling of items on layers that relevant to the drawing I am working on.

Looking to see the light

Mark

• 1. Re: PDF Configuration questions
          kbak

Hi Mark

You are so right. The Create PDF is lacking many features.

I think many of these are already mentioned on Mentor Ideas, so please vote for them there.

Or add your own idea.

regards

Klaus

• 2. Re: PDF Configuration questions
            David Ricketts

Sure there's room for improvement, but PDF can work pretty well the way it is.

1. Don't use suppress for reference designators for your gerbers. That's an ancient workaround and is no longer really needed. Delete the label on the PCB silkscreen. Or create a second set of reference designator labels on the assembly drawing layer, and place them in the middle of the part. It will be much more readable than just copying the silkscreen. Now the PDF will reflect what you see on the gerbers or assembly drawing without any extra work, or remembering what the suppress parameters are.

2. I'm not sure what your scaling problems are, but it seems that using the offset justification option should give you full control of where the board appears on the print, in fact exactly like the CAM settings do. I'm also not seeing any difference between the top level and specific page size options. The top level is just the default for all the pages, unless they need to be different, but the controls are all same for all the levels.

• 3. Re: PDF Configuration questions
              markl

Woo Hoo!

we will finally be upgrading to 9.3

Not being familiar with any release after 2007 I am wondering if you are referring to a new feature in V9?

If PDF generation is lacking, maybe you should install a PDF generator as a print device, then it will work just like CAM

I tried a number of these and PDF Redirect is one that works very nice and is free:

http://www.exp-systems.com/PDFreDirect/Downloads.htm?1

• 4. Re: PDF Configuration questions
                David Ricketts

PADS' Create PDF makes an intelligent file, with cross referencing and highlighting of parts and net information. An external PDF program cannot do that.