5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 1:42 AM by robert_davies

Newbie:How to catch unique netnames on page and unique netnames off page?

jason.waln

I'm in the process of moving from Design Capture to DxDesigner.  I'm having a very difficult time trying to reproduce a critical Design Capture feature into DxDesigner.

In Design Capture, I can have defined inter page and Intra page connector symbols.  Using those symbols, I'm able to use Verify to determine which netnames are unique on page and which netnames are unique off page.  At the same time, those symbols are used for cross referencing.

How would I set this feature up in DxDesigner.  There are only 4 defined symbol types which does not include an Inter page and intra page connector symbol type.  How do I get my symbol to know if my net should go off page or on page?  Also, how do I make my on/off (Intra/Inter) page connector symbol so the DRC will catch a signal node net.  The DRC currently considers my page connector as a valid pin connection even though I have the symbol type as annotate.

I have a flat design using EE7.9.2 on windows XP.

• 1. Re: Newbie:How to catch unique netnames on page and unique netnames off page?
          robert_davies

Jason,

DxDesigner doesn't have such tight rules as Design Capture when it comes to inter and intra-page connectivity. Connectivity at the block level (flat schematics) is based on 'Name' association, so any net named A will connect to any other net named A. DxDesigner uses two types of symbol for adding management to inter-page/intra-page and hierarchical connections. For inter/intra-page as you're interested in we use a link symbol which is DxDesigner type of 'Annotate', this type gives a clue as to its purpose which is to annotate the design with information that doesn't affect the logic of the design. Typically this is cross-reference information, but you can also use them like hyperlinks across a design, name a link symbol as MyLink on one sheet and the same on another and using ALT-Click you can jump between the links. Note however that naming a link does not change connectivity, if a link is attached to net A but called B it does not change the net name to A and net A will be connected to net A even if another link is named B on a different net.

To use these in a similar manner to the inter/intra-page connectors from DC you can use Verify to catch nets with the same name that do not have link symbols. The Particular DRC you need to set up is DRC 121and you will need to set the Annotate symbols you typically use for this purpose. Attached is a snapshot of my configuration where I use the In and Out symbols from my Basic symbol library. Note tha DRC is  'batch' process, that is you must deliberately run it at some point in hyour design process, this is because DxDesigner, unlike DC, does not have a save or compile step, all changes are made immediately in the database.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions post back here.

Rob

You may also find these posts helpful http://communities.mentor.com/thread/3679 & http://communities.mentor.com/message/10401#10401

• 2. Re: Newbie:How to catch unique netnames on page and unique netnames off page?
            jason.waln

Thanks for the reply Robert.

I'll see if the link symbols will work.  There is a wiring conditions that I really need DxDesigner to catch.

1. In the file test2.gif, I have 2 wires called TEST2 on the same page.  This is a very common wiring error (one wire should have been called TEST1).  Both Design Capture and DxDesigner will connect net TEST2 to all four pins.  However, in Design Capture I can run Verify and it will give me a warning that TEST2 shows up more than once on the same page and does not have an intra page connector.  Is there a way I can catch this wiring error in Dxdesigner?  I have all boxes check under DRC121 except Hierarchical checks and it doesn't catch it.

Thanks,

Jason

• 3. Re: Newbie:How to catch unique netnames on page and unique netnames off page?
              robert_davies

Jason,

DRC-121 will detect this. I have created an annotate symbol named intra in my library by copying one of the existing link symbols ( I copied in.1 from the basic library and edited the graphics). Then I configured DRC-121 as in my previous post: 'Internal connection symbol(s) Basic:intra.1'.

Connecting the design up as you have and running DRC gives me the output in DRC1.png, 76 Errors in total and the first two are the intra-page issue you want to catch. Adding the new intra page connector symbol removes this error, DRC2.png, now down to 74 errors.

One key thing to do is have separate link symbols for the inter and intra sheet connectors.

• 4. Re: Newbie:How to catch unique netnames on page and unique netnames off page?
                jason.waln

I've been able to get the intra-page issue resolved as you suggested. Thanks.  However, I'm having a very difficult time with the inter page issue. I have three link symbols called con_inter_i.1, con_inter_o.1, and con_inter_bi.1 that I want to use for inter page connectivity.  Can I put all three of these symbols in the value field in DRC-121 under flat connecton symbols?  If so, what is the proper syntax. and how does the system treat multiple symbols?  I don't want the system to flag a net on one page connected to symbol con_inter_o.1 and the same net on another page with the symbol con_inter_i.1.

Thanks,

Jason

• 5. Re: Newbie:How to catch unique netnames on page and unique netnames off page?
                  robert_davies

The syntax is to use a space between the values, in 7.9.3 we are also adding , as a delimiter to bring it into line with other parts of DxDesigner.