2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2011 8:16 AM by Gary_Lameris

Multiple PCBs under one project

robert.e.shepherd2.ctr

I have a DxDesigner top level project with 3 different PCBs with different schematixs for each under each individual board.  I have created one PCB (Layout) in Expedition for the first board.  I wish to copy the present board (PCB Layout) to the other 2 boards because the board mechanical features are the same except they have different connectors and signals defined in the associated schematics for each board.  How should I proceed to accomplish this task?

• 1. Re: Multiple PCBs under one project
          robert_davies

You can export the board data using File - Export - Design Data and then import it into the other boards, or if you just want the Board Outline etc you can export IDF from the same File - Export menu, both of these are in Expedition PCB.

• 2. Re: Multiple PCBs under one project
            Gary_Lameris

As you probably have noted, a simple copy paste into a new directory didn't achieve satisfactory results.  This is because for each design, the ID's are different for each board as packaged.  Try the following sggestions:

1 - Ask your salesman about a tool, called Variant Manager that was designed to do this.

2 - make a template of the primary PCB and use it for the alternate Boards.  Nets and Components should sync to the new ID's

3 - change the desired methodology and make multiple projects, each with one board using the original design as a master template.

4 - create a format reuse including the PCB, place the reuse in the design and smash it.