3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 11:15 AM by weston_beal

Off-Board simulation

pascal_pardo

Dear,

I need to do some "off-board" simulations for a Know-How project. I am aware that IS_MultiBoard supports systems that are composed of multiple boards, connectors and cables, however I have no experience in either using this module or the required models.

I've read about so called "Mated Models". Can I ask my connector and cable supplier for that kind of model or is it something I need to create myself?

In case I need to create the model myself, who can deliver me the required data and what will be the format?

Is there a standard, like for instance IBIS, which is known by our electromechanical friends or will the feedback be different for each supplier?

The project I need to simulate is going from one board to another with about 5m coax cable in between. The speedgrade is 3.75Gbps.

(for other High Speed simulations we use both Hyperlynx and ICX)

Regards,

Pascal Pardo

• 1. Re: Off-Board simulation
          weston_beal

Pascal,

Mated Model files for connectors are NOT readily available. Usually, the connector vendors provide SPICE or S-parameter models of their connectors. You can include these into an ICX 4.0 specific model file to use them in IS_MB if you want. The syntax is described in the ICX Modeling Guide.

If you are going to simulate only a few of this type of net, I suggest that you do it in HyperLynx LineSim. For pre-route and special model cases, LineSim is much more flexible. You can get the circuit set up and ready to simulate faster.

If you are going to simulate many nets and multiple systems of this type, then it is worth the time to create the Mated Model file for ICX and run your simulations in ICX.

Weston

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Off-Board simulation
            pascal_pardo

Dear Weston,

thanks for the answer.

I have no experience in using Spice, I'll give it a try in Hyperlynx.

Best regards,

Pascal

• 3. Re: Off-Board simulation
              weston_beal

Using SPICE models in HyperLynx still requires some knowledge of SPICE. HyperLynx takes care of a lot of the netlist for you, but you need to get the model in a .subckt block and you need to know a little bit about what is in the model. If you need help with a specfic model after trying to set it up, you can open a service request on SupportNet.mentor.com.