9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 10:07 AM by simon.fortin

Mark unused parts in DxD?

Nightwish

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way in DxDesigner to make or identify parts that will not be attached on board during PCBA? For example we have a board which can be used in different products depending on the parts to be attached on board and these parts are selective or alternate. But actually they are in one underlying schematic. We want to find a way to easily tell the EE or PCB desingers which parts are not going to be used in a particular product and these parts should not appear in BOM. When the EE review the schematics the unused parts may be shown in different color or other ways to tell the EE thwy will not be used. Any suggestions are welcomed

• 1. Re: Mark unused parts in DxD?
          yu.yanfeng

You can simply add the property "Part List Exclude"  and set value to "True" to the part symbol instances you don't wish it be in the BOM, but in layout database.

You can simply add the property "Foward To PCb" and set value to "False to the part symbol instances you wish it be in the bom, but not in layout database.

You can clore these properties. Currently, Viewdraw doesn't support to color symbol instances. If you like so, please help to vote my idea for coloring Synmbol instance.

If you have vaiiant license feature ,you can use variant .It's versitle.

Yanfeng

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mark unused parts in DxD?
            yu.yanfeng

Sorry, I have to take one correction. If you set Foward to PCB to True, it can't be in bom and layout.

Yanfeng

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Mark unused parts in DxD?
              Nightwish

Hi Yanfeng,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I think using Part List Exclude property is a good idea and we also try to add this property into our mdb file.

Nightwish

• 4. Re: Mark unused parts in DxD?
                robert_davies

Based on your initial post you should investigate the Variant Manager option in the flow. This gives more control over mark-up of parts in the schematic/pcb for those that will be 'Do Not Fit'. than simply using a combination of Forward tp PCB and Part List Exclude.

• 5. Re: Mark unused parts in DxD?
                  David_S

robert_davies wrote:

Based on your initial post you should investigate the Variant Manager option in the flow. This gives more control over mark-up of parts in the schematic/pcb for those that will be 'Do Not Fit'. than simply using a combination of Forward tp PCB and Part List Exclude.

Does the Variant Manager support the "Forward to PCB" and "Part List Excluce" properties also?

(we have some people that want pre-made symbols on thier schematic, but no copper on the PCB/BOM entry, but we use Variant Manager to make our Schematic based BOMs)

Or does Variant Manager support a "Do Not Generate Copper" as appose to a "Do Not Place"?  (the "Forward to PCB"="FALSE" will generate no cell on the PCB)

Clear as mud???

• 6. Re: Mark unused parts in DxD?
                    robert_davies

The Variant Bom output will use the Part List Exclude and Forward to PCB options as well as the enhanced options in VM. The advantage with VM is that it will depopulate the schematic for eac variant view.

• 7. Re: Mark unused parts in DxD?
                      David_S

Robert,

I tried this,

Part is set to Forward to PCB=False, Part List Exclude=True

When I generate a BOM from VM, I'm still seeing the part in my BOM.

If I use VM to mark it DNP, it is removed from the BOM.

We are using 7.9.1 Update 9

We are testing a copy of 7.9.3 and I get the following results there, with the same setup:

Part is not in BOM without using VM to set to DNP.

So, it seems to work in the latest version.

• 8. Re: Mark unused parts in DxD?
                        robert_davies

The changes were madel in 7.9.3, so I'm glad to hear you have confirmed this.

Rob

• 9. Re: Mark unused parts in DxD?
                          simon.fortin

But the "Part List Exclude" property still not working with "Variant Manager" in the PADS 9.5 workflow !

We hope that Mentor people will fix this soon! We're still waiting for this feature...