6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 10:07 AM by RLS2004

Copy trace only

wolferm

Is there a way in PADS to copy ONLY the traces to an identical placement and have

that set of traces take on the new nets that are now attached to. Or the only way even coming close

to that functionality is having re-use capability. It seems to me that is a very combersomb way to just want to copy trace to another circuit.

Not to mention the extra cost of being able ot even have re-use capability.

Many other CAD systems do provide the ability to copy trace and when done it removes

net infio then when palce on a set of pads it could thenm take on that new connectivity net wise.

Thanks

Bob

• 1. Re: Copy trace only
          RLS2004

You can copy traces from "Channel 1" to "Channel 2" on the SAME layout. Placement must be IDENTICAL. Set the filter for traces only, select the layer (I like to copy one layer at a time..your preference). Highlight the traces and Ctrl-C, position highlight on channel 2 and Ctrl-V to paste them on Channel 2. (I've done this in Pads Layout for several versions. Currently using 9.1.3)

RLS

• 2. Re: Copy trace only
            wolferm

OK yes settign filters etc does in fact work, now the only problem I see is not really having snap to pad

pending where it snape to traces could get slightly tweeked. But it does work as long as where it picks

to snap to trace is on a pad that is on grid.

• 3. Re: Copy trace only
              wolferm

I tried it first usign selection filter in main menu I of course ended up getting parts along too.

Keep forgettign about the filter control.

• 4. Re: Copy trace only
                jmatthews

Set your grid to something tiny, like 1 mil (or less). The copies traces will still jump from pin to pin. If there's a pattern where you have some traces the same, then a consistent gap, select that group and copy, using the gap as your spacer.

• 5. Re: Copy trace only
                  jduquette

Your 'Move preference' settings can have a big effect on how well this works.  <Tools><Options> (Design tab).  'Move by cursor location' is the only way I've got absolute moves to work well.

• 6. Re: Copy trace only
                    RLS2004

Copy trace needs a component pad (not a via) as the base point for the move (origin). Keep selecting next base point until it's on a pad and that pad is on grid.

RLS