7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2011 2:47 PM by jmatthews

Non standard shape of pad

michal.koziar

Hello

I would like to ask about creation of pads with different shape i.e. like for SOT-89 (please see attached picture). Is there any other way than adding a copper polygon?

Best regards

Michal

• 1. Re: Non standard shape of pad
          jmatthews

Don't believe so. I think PADS either used to have or tried to have a custom pad shape at one time. But it didn't work.

Of course, I'm sure someone will come on here and prove me wrong about it not working now that I said that...

I always hate to talk about using outside software (since IMHO, this shouldn't ever need to happen), but I'm thinking it MAY be possible to create something in AutoCad and import that into the library editor. I've never tried, or even thought about trying, that, but it's a thought.

Sounds like something good to try posting on the "Ideas" site (e.g., something along the lines of: "Add the ability to create custom pads without using associated copper"). I'd vote for it.

• 2. Re: Non standard shape of pad
            lalexman

In pads 9.3.1 or manybe earlier you can champher the corners of square and rectangular pads.

• 3. Re: Non standard shape of pad
              michal.koziar

Hi

Currently I am using PADS 9.3.1. But mentioned shapes are not supported.

Import from dxf format is available but as jmatthews said it is not best way.

Best regards

Michal

• 4. Re: Non standard shape of pad
                lalexman

Picture0001.jpgWhy do you say they are not supported. Select the top layer, select square or rectangle  and then there are options for Corner type and radius.

• 5. Re: Non standard shape of pad
                  michal.koziar

Hi

I think my previous post wasn't written correctly. Chamfered or rounded pads are supported (as lalexman wrote) by PADS 9.3.1.  But I was thinking about support for more sophisticated shapes. Of course sophisticated shape may be realized as a set of pads: rectangle plus chamfered rectangle.

Best regards

Michal by

• 6. Re: Non standard shape of pad
                    David Ricketts

Creating a polygon in the Decal Editor is the correct way of doing this, but it is just the first step. The second is to Associate it to a terminal. Select the terminal or shape, right-click and select Associate, then select the shape or terminal. PADS will now treat this like other terminals, creating mask and paste shapes to match it. You'll also need to select Pins with Associated Copper in the CAM Layers setup, and check all the boxes.

• 7. Re: Non standard shape of pad
                      jmatthews

I know about that (the chamfered pins), but I think he was looking to create the middle combined pins (aka pin 2) as one pin without using associated copper.