1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 5, 2012 12:11 PM by Patrick.Cashman

DxD - Trying to Generate an X-Ref

pete.osborne

I have a couple of designs that are 6 levels of Hierarchy.   Unfortunately, the XREF utility has an issue with the number of levels and buses that we have in these designs (As detailed in http://supportnet.mentor.com/reference/technotes/public/technote.cfm?tn=mg67701).  So, .I thought I'd try my hand at writing an XREF utility for these designs.

Everything was moving along smoothly, byt then I ran into a problem where I think I'm doing something silly, but I can't figure out what it is.  I have two questions:

1)  Is there a way to traverse through the hierarchy to capture the relative location of each comonent without using views?  (i.e. I don't want to have every schematic sheet open if I don't need to)

2) Assuming that the answer to number 1 is no,   Can anyone see anything obviously wrong with the code below:

Specifically, around this section

If oProj.pushpath ( sDesignName , sPath, sSheet) Then

'Now, go through each component and only look at the ones we care about

'                msgbox "There are " & oProj.ActiveView.Query(VDM_COMP, VD_ALL).Count & " components on this sheet"

For Each oComp In oProj.ActiveView.Query(VDM_COMP, VD_ALL)

'For this script, I only want to work with symbols that are of type Pin or Annotate

msgbox ocomp.symbolblock.getname(FULL_PATH_NAME)  & " is of type " & ocomp.symbolblock.symboltype

If ((oComp.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = VDB_ANNOTATE) Or (oComp.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = VDB_PIN)) Then

The code does not fail, it's just not getting into the VDB_ANNOTATE if statement even though, I have specifcally placed symbols of that type on the low level sheets.

Function CreateXREF()

Dim SheetScope, HierScope

Dim oTemp, sTemp

Dim AllComps, oAllBlocks

Dim oComp, oAttr

Dim sAttName, oXYpos, lVisibilityFlag, sRefDes, bNuke

Dim oNet, ocNetAttr

Dim oBlk, sSymType, sSymName, sSymNum, sSchName, sPath, sBlockName, sSheet

Dim oConn, oCompPin, oPoint, sXLoc, sYLoc, sNetName, oNetSegment, iSheetCount, iBlockCount, oSheet

Dim collBlocks        ' A collection of all the Blocks in the design

' The Key will be the Block Name

Dim collSheets        ' A collection of the schematic sheets

' The key will be the schematic sheet name.  The Value will be the Sheet number used for XREF  

SheetScope = "-1"   ' Indicates to look at all sheets

HierScope = True    ' Indicates to search through all hierarchies

If Not (Initialize_Design) Then

msgbox "Design did not initialize properly"

CreateXREF = False

Exit Function

End If

Call oProj.StatusBarText("Xref Attributes removed from Nets")

'A collection to hold a list of the blocks

'    The Key is the Path

'    The Value is the Block Name

Set collBlocks = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

'    iSheetCount = 0

Call oProj.StatusBarText("Building Schematic Sheet List")

'Add the root block to the collection of blocks

collBlocks.add "", sDesignName

'Find the Hierarchical Blocks in the design

For Each oComp In Application.DesignComponents("", sDesignName, "-1", "STD", True)

'Check every composite symbol to see if there is an underlying schematic

If oComp.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = VDB_COMPOSITE Then

sPath = oComp.GetName(FULL_PATH_NAME)

On Error Resume Next

sSchName = oComp.SymbolBlock.GetChildBlock.GetName(FULL_PATH_NAME)

If Err.Number > 0 Then

sSchName = objComp.SymbolBlock.GetName(FULL_PATH_FROM_BLOCK)

End If

err.clear

On Error goto 0

'Add the Path and the Schematic name to the Collection

collBlocks.Add  sPath, sSchName

End If

Next

'This would be the point if you want to renumber the order that your blocks show up in.

'Create a collection of Sheets

'    the Key is the full path to the Sheet

'    the Value is the Overall Sheet Number

Set collSheets = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

iSheetCount = 0

For Each sPath In collBlocks.Keys

sSchName = collBlocks(sPath)

msgbox "About to open " & sSchName & " from " & sPath

For Each sSheet In oProj.SchematicSheetDocuments.GetAvailableSheets(sSchname)

sTemp =  sPath & "\" & sSchName & "." & sSheet

iSheetCount = iSheetCount + 1

'msgbox "Adding sTemp=" & sTemp & " and iSheetCount=" & iSheetCount & " to the collection"

collSheets.add sTemp, iSheetCount

'msgbox "About to Push sDesignName=" & sDesignName & " and sPath=" & sPath & " and sSheet=" & sSheet

If oProj.pushpath ( sDesignName , sPath, sSheet) Then

'Now, go through each component and only look at the ones we care about

'                msgbox "There are " & oProj.ActiveView.Query(VDM_COMP, VD_ALL).Count & " components on this sheet"

For Each oComp In oProj.ActiveView.Query(VDM_COMP, VD_ALL)

'For this script, I only want to work with symbols that are of type Pin or Annotate

msgbox ocomp.symbolblock.getname(FULL_PATH_NAME)  & " is of type " & ocomp.symbolblock.symboltype

If ((oComp.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = VDB_ANNOTATE) Or (oComp.SymbolBlock.SymbolType = VDB_PIN)) Then

'Create a handle to the symbol

Set oBlk = oComp.SymbolBlock

sSymType = oBlk.SymbolType            'The type = Annotate or Pin in this Case

sSymName = oBlk.GetName(FULL_PATH_NAME)    'the name of the Symbol

sSymNum = oBlk.SheetNum                'The number of the symbol ie in.1 or in.2

'sSchName = oComp.Parent.GetName(FULL_PATH_NAME) & "." & oComp.Parent.SheetNum

'I personally don't really care about symbol Type. Just the name of the symbol

msgbox sSymName

Select Case uCase(sSymName)

Case "IN", "OUT", "IN_OUT", "SHEET_BI", "SHEET_ON", "SHEET_OFF"

'Find all the pins on the symbol. For us, we could check if greater than 1

' - but later

msgbox "About to look at the connections on " & sSymName

For Each oConn In oComp.GetConnections

'Create a handle to the Component Pin Object

Set oCompPin = oConn.CompPin

'Create a handle to the coordinates of the pin

Set oPoint = oCompPin.GetLocation

sXLoc = oPoint.X

sYLoc = oPoint.Y

'Now, grab the net information

Set oNet = oConn.Net

sNetName = oNet.GetConnectedNetName(oConn.Segment)

'Store the information in an array

MsgBox sSymname & "." & sSymNum & " on " & sSchName & " has a pin at X=" & sXLoc & " Y=" & sYLoc & " connected to net " & sNetName & " on Sheet " & iSheetCount

Next

Case Else

'most likely the border  Can use this section in the write section to write the "Sheet a of n"

End Select

End If

Next          

Else

'Something bad happened if you weren't able to push into that schematic sheet

msgbox "Something failed using sDesignName=" & sDesignName & ", sPath=" &  sPath & ", sSheet=" & sSheet

End If

Next

Next

'dbg    For Each sTemp In collSheets.Keys

'dbg        msgbox sTemp & " is sheet number " & collSheets(sTemp)

'dbg    Next

Exit Function

Call oProj.StatusBarText("")

CreateXREF=TRUE

End Function

• 1. Re: DxD - Trying to Generate an X-Ref
          Patrick.Cashman

I think the answer to 1) may be yes.

Try using Application.DesignComponents, then Component.GetName.  DesignComponents gives you a reference to all the components in the design.  I use it like this:

scomps = Nothing

'load all components into scomps.  scomps will get a reference to every component in the design

design_name = app.GetProjectData.GetiCDBDesignRootBlock(app.GetActiveDesign())

scomps = app.DesignComponents("", design_name, "-1", , False)    'gets all the components in the design

refdes.Clear

ref_data.Clear

For Each scomp In scomps

if scomp.refdes = "" then goto next_scomp

If instr(scomp.refdes, "ITAR") >= 1 Then GoTo next_scomp

If instr(scomp.refdes, "aero_logo") >= 1 Then GoTo next_scomp

'load up the ref_data dictionary: refdes, x & y values, sheet number

redim ary(2)

pt = scomp.getlocation

x = pt.X

y = pt.Y

ary(0) = x

ary(1) = y

ary(2) = scomp.Parent.SheetNum

if not ref_data.ContainsKey(scomp.refdes) then

ref_data.Add(scomp.refdes, ary)

End If

'load up the refdes arraylist (just reference designators)

refdes.Add(scomp.refdes)

next_scomp:

Next

You can put anything in the For/Next loop you want, from all the properties of each component.

Using this method doesn't open any sheets, so it's much faster than cycling through all the sheets.  You might need to put another loop to cycle through all the schematics in your design for what you are trying to do, but that's not too hard either.