4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 5:04 PM by weyvaz1

Differential pair entery in Rule set.

weyvaz1

I am trying to enter a large number of differential pair into the rule set. It is very time consuming to do it one by one, is there a way that I can copy,paste it from my excel sheet that I have made for my FPGA design.

• 1. Re: Differential pair entery in Rule set.
          varora

Ascii out just the RULES with NETS

DIF PAIR should look something like this

DIF_PAIR D1

{

NET1P

NET1N

MIN_LENGTH 2975

MAX_LENGTH 3000

GAP12

MAX_OBSTACLE_SIZE 25

MAX_OBSTACLE_NUMBER 3

WIDTH 6

LAYER_NAME

}

You can copy/paste the ascii format of the diff pair

Change the name, numbers etc. which are last faster than selecting the pairs in design file

Ascii in

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Differential pair entery in Rule set.
            jduquette

There is a spreadsheet view of the rules in Router.  You might have better luck entering them there and then sending the rules back to Layout.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Differential pair entery in Rule set.
              David Ricketts

Philip Restall was working on a utility to automate the selection of differential pairs a few years ago, but I don't know if it ever got released. For that matter, I don't even know if he's still in the business.

In the meantime, the fastest manual method is to start with Project Explorer in Router. Expand the Nets list, then select two nets that make a pair. Right click, and then select Make Differential Net in the context menu. Keep going until you get them all. I've done designs with hundreds of differential pairs this way, so it's not too bad. When they're all created, select the Differential Pair category in Project Explorer, select properties, and you can assign the rules to all of them at once.

• 4. Re: Differential pair entery in Rule set.
                weyvaz1

Thank you all for your feedback, as you mentioned the best way is through the routher since has the spreadsheet available to bring in the nets. I think Mentor should make a spreadsheet interface for Layout as well for all of design rule set class, pinpair, diff.pair...etc.