2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 1:20 PM by jim.frederick

DxDesigner scripting, change net.name to match Component name

jim.frederick

I'm looking for some sample .VBS code or suggestions to rename some net names to match the component name that it's attached to. For example, if I have components Cx for x=1 thru 100, I'd like to change all net names for nets connected to pin 1 using a name like Nx - so the net connected to C1 pin 1 would get a name N1 and C2 pin 1 would get a name N2 and so on.

I'm new to DxDesigner automation but I'm familiar with VBS and text manipulation (including regular expressions).

Why I want to do this: I have a matrix of hundreds of components that need to be interconnected. The interconnection algorithm is easy for me to code in .VBS and is certaily easier than manually drawing interconnections by hand.

So, I could use some sample code or suggestions that would help me go thru a list of selected components, determine the component name, find the net connected to a pin on the component and rename that net.

Thanks!

-JF

• 1. Re: DxDesigner scripting, change net.name to match Component name
          john_dube

Hi Jim,

Here is a starting point:

' Loop over every selected component

For Each comp in ActiveView.Query(VDM_COMP, VD_SELECTED)

' Get the refdes value

sRefdes = comp.RefDes

' Loop over every pin-net connection

For Each conn in comp.GetConnections

' If there is a net connected to the pin

If Not conn.Net Is Nothing Then

' Find the net label

For Each seg in conn.Net.GetSegments

If Not conn.Net.GetLabel(seg) Is Nothing Then

' change the text string property to rename the net

conn.Net.GetLabel(seg).TextString = sRefDes & "_" & conn.CompPin.Number

End If

Next

End If

Next

Next

Hope this helps,

John

• 2. Re: DxDesigner scripting, change net.name to match Component name
            jim.frederick

John-

Thanks! That was extremely helpful and helped me up the learning curve very quickly. Here's what I used...

DIM VDM_COMP    : VDM_COMP =  128

DIM VD_SELECTED : VD_SELECTED = 1

Dim cntReplace : cntReplace=0

Dim comp ' component

For Each comp in ActiveView.Query(VDM_COMP, VD_SELECTED) ' Assume components selected.

DIM sRefdes : sRefdes = comp.RefDes

If Len(sRefdes)>0  Then ' If there's a refdes...

DIM conn ' Connection

For Each conn in comp.GetConnections ' For each pin on device...

If Not conn.net Is Nothing Then ' If there is a net connected to the pin

DIM seg ' Segment

For Each seg in conn.net.GetSegments

Dim lbl : Set lbl = conn.net.GetLabel(seg)

If Not lbl Is Nothing Then

Dim refDesNum : refDesNum = right( sRefDes, len(sRefDes)-1 ) ' Get numeric portion of refdes.

Dim sColor

if 1=conn.CompPin.Number Then sColor="B" else ' pin 1 is B

if 2=conn.CompPin.Number Then sColor="G" else ' pin 2 is G

if 3=conn.CompPin.Number then sColor="R" end if ' pin 3 is R

Dim newTxt : newTxt = sColor & refDesNum ' Something like R200 or B200 etc.

lbl.TextString = newTxt ' Apply new text to label.

cntReplace = cntReplace + 1

MsgBox sRefdes & "." & conn.CompPin.Number & "=" & newTxt & ". (" & cntReplace & ")"

Else

MsgBox sRefdes & "." & conn.CompPin.Number & " has no label"

End If ' if label on net

Next ' seg

End If ' if net on pin

Next ' conn

End If ' if refdes

Next ' comp

MsgBox "Done. Replaced " & cntReplace & " labels."