1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 9:49 AM by weston_beal

How to test my board with an ideal impulse generator ?

Haithem

Hello experts,

Principal question : How to test my board with an ideal impulse generator (instead of a normal IO or a buffer)?

I am working on simulations with Linesim and boardsim on Hyperlynx, and I have some questions :

1 - What to do, to use an ideal pulse generator in linesim or boardsim simulations. see the example presented by the diagram attached ?

Board.png

2 - Do-it's possible to import a basic model of a pulse voltage generator of H-Spice and used in the  linesim or  boardsim  simulation ?

==> My goal is to simulate / test my board with boardsim or linesim, with the ideal tools ( ideal pulse generator ). and see only the internal behavior of my board (crosstalk, radiation, EMC ...). ie I will assume that the outside of my board is ideal.

Thank you very much for your help.

cdlt,

Haithem.

• 1. Re: How to test my board with an ideal impulse generator ?
          weston_beal

Haithem,

You can export the S-parameters of your net and analyze the behavior in the frequency domain. If you have HyperLynx 8.2, you can use the Touchstone Viewer to make an impedance profile of the S-parameters.

Another option is it assign the TDR model to the IC buffer symbol in your schematic (or IC pin in BoardSim) and run the time-domain simulation. This model is a basic 1V, 10ps edge with very low output impedance so it acts like a real TDR.

Weston