6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 9:11 AM by jamie.wojcik

How can I preserve Symbol Editor settings in PADS 9.31?

marius.stefanescu

Hello All,

I'm trying to preserve newly entered Symbol Editor (nse.exe) preferences but for some reason every time the program is reloaded from within DxDesigner all settings revert to some default standard.

I was able to control and preserve some settings by editing the Dxdesigner.xml file in the default C:\PADS Projects directory but then I noticed that the settings that I really wish to preserve are being stored in the mgc_nse_2007.ini (under the Windows "Users" directory). Unfortunately that file is being overwritten every time the Symbol editor is being re-lunched, again, with some default standard that I cannot control.

This issue is very important to us since we're trying to establish a workable standard, whereby all settings are uniform among the PADS/DxD users in our company. Having to write a windows batch file to override mgc_nse_2007.ini upon nse.exe startup may be a solution, but definetly not an elegant one...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Marius

• 2. Re: How can I preserve Symbol Editor settings in PADS 9.31?
          marius.stefanescu

Gary,

Thank you for the reply and I did submint a ticket to SupportNet.

From what I've read on the forum it looks like this is an ongoing problem since 2010 and PADS9.x release. I'm amazed how such a rudemetary feature as saving one's symbol Editor Settings turns out to be a programmer's challenge! The PADS suite has so many nested scripts and subscripts that I won't be surprised if Mentor themselves have lost track of what each one does. The very fact that PADS 9.3x uses scripts labled "mgc_nse_2007" and that some help file documentation still refers to PADS 7.x or 2007 does not give one a warm and cozy feeling about this whole suite...

Kind regards,

Marius

• 3. Re: How can I preserve Symbol Editor settings in PADS 9.31?
            colin_tunnoch

Marius,

You said, "that some help file documentation still refers to PADS 7.x or 2007 does  not give one a warm and cozy feeling about this whole suite". I am surprised by this. Can you give me an example of where I could find these references to PADS 7.x or 2007? (Was there a version 7?) As far as I know, the only references to older versions are there on purpose - referring to migrating settings from those versions for example.

I am responsible for the PADS documentation and I would really like to fix these errors. My team and I are dedicated to fully documenting new features and also improving or rewriting legacy documentation topics. In the last couple of releases, we have added over 300 screenshots and created over 120 new topics to give better coverage to old legacy content.

If you are unhappy with any of the PADS documentation, I need your feedback.

Thanks,

Colin

• 4. Re: How can I preserve Symbol Editor settings in PADS 9.31?
              Gary_Lameris

When launched from DxDesigner, many of the settings are specified by DxDesigner and not the mgc_nse_2007.ini file. NSE obtains it's settings from the method of launch.  This can make it appear inconsistent when the user is launching the file by different methods.

mgc_nse_2007 is simply a file name and the contents of the settings have not changed significantly enough to justify a new name.

For more on this topic, please review.

http://communities.mentor.com/message/29806#29806

• 5. Re: How can I preserve Symbol Editor settings in PADS 9.31?
                marius.stefanescu

Hello Colin and Garry,

Pardon my lashing out @ Mentor. Indeed it seems logical to preserve the old file naming convention unless the files have undergone major overhauls.

I'm still frustrated by the fact that PADS (which I LOVE as a standalone tool) plays nicer with competitor tools (like Cadence Orcad) than it plays with "native" tools like DxD.

Similarly, it seems easier to bring in schematics from Orcad to DxD than to deal with its native Symbol Editor. Again, these are my personal opinions and venting out my frustrations that I need to be a C++ guru to be able to preserve my NSE settings every time the program shuts down.

I know that no EDA tool on this planet is perfect (and will never be) but if I had it my way, and component databasing wasn't an issue, I'd mix and match Cadence's schematic toos with Mentor's powerful and yet intuitive PADS.

just my $0.02

Marius

• 6. Re: How can I preserve Symbol Editor settings in PADS 9.31?
                  jamie.wojcik

We are evaluating DX Designer/PADS and I have this same issue.  Has this been solved?  Mine is defaulting to white background and yellow text which is impossible to read.  This seems like an absolutely simple thing to be able to do.