4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 5:57 AM by mclark

Verify Design appears to have changed PADS Layout 9.3 to 9.4

mclark

I have a part that needs to be located close to the edge of the board.  I have used this before (9.3) and with a few tweaks to the rules I could get the edge of board releated errors to go away.  This does not happen in 9.4.

I am working on a new design that uses this same part.  Using the same DRC settings I still get error reports that do not reflect the settings.  Now when I load the original design into 9.4, I get these errors that weren't there in 9.3.

This has happened in the past with previous firmware updates.  You would think in testing there would be a set of known scripts or test cases to verify that known issues don't reappear.  Unless we're the testing / validation department

• 1. Re: Verify Design appears to have changed PADS Layout 9.3 to 9.4
          jmatthews

Check to see if the "Board Outline" setting in "Verify Design" is checked or not (it should be unchecked). See attached.

It would be nice if we could selectively exclude specific Decals while leaving the "Board Outline" part of the DRC check active...

• 2. Re: Verify Design appears to have changed PADS Layout 9.3 to 9.4
            mclark

Is this a board level setting or platform level?

They both had this check when I ran the verify design recently (after 9.4 upgrade).  The design that was originally done in 9.3 also had Latium error markers checked when I look at it in 9.4.  When the board was origanlly done in 9.3 I had a couple of errors on it for the Latium Errors I new it had (for a Diff Pari rule) and that was it.  Now there are a lot more.

Also between these two designs, I have parts that overhang the PCB edge.  One design they are flagged, the other they are not.  This could be the difference in Body to Body checking.  Now the question: If this is the case why does body to body checking affect the errors displayed more than board outline?

Upgrading PADS is usually one of the most painfull programs to do, as you always have to figure out and reset (copy and paste files - if this will work) your default system parameters.  Will they ever pull their heads out and figure out how to fix this PITA (sorry if I offended anyone, I know I'm not the only one  that has an issue on this and it has been going on way to long).

• 3. Re: Verify Design appears to have changed PADS Layout 9.3 to 9.4
              yan_killy

Hello Sir,

I bag to differ with you on the part of updating PADS to newer version. It was always a straight forward procedd and couple releases back we have introduced Migration capability and during installation you can tell to migrate all of your custom stuff like Libraries and their pass, etc....

Regards, Yan

• 4. Re: Verify Design appears to have changed PADS Layout 9.3 to 9.4
                mclark

Where is this option?  It doesn't come up during the installation process.