1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 6:01 PM by jmedina

Windows 7 and VPN

jmedina

I cannot get Expedition to open over VPN when using Windows 7 Pro.

I get this response from Mentor and I tried it on 7.9.3 and it is not working, anyone else have this problem or know of a fix?

I tried this "fix" and it failed as well.

Ok, I just tried this new fix and it appeared to work for me so I would like you to try it.

1.      Extract the viewdraw.txt from the .zip file.

2.      Change the extension .txt to .exe.

3.      Inside the install path directory; 7.9EE\SD_HOME\wv\win32\bin\ Rename the old viewdraw.exe to viewdraw.exeold

4.      Copy over the new viewdraw.exe into the 7.9EE\SD_HOME\wv\win32\bin\

5.      Invoke Expedition on design

If this works I will reopen the defect and see if we can’t get it updated. Currently you are the only one having an issue with the new release at this point.

Kind regards,

Stacey

-----------------------------------------------

Hi John,

The problem is this is not a Mentor specific problem and actually an Adobe problem. I included this statement given by engineering looking into the problem. This error is caused by a wrong manifest embedded in the FormDesigner application. If you open the application in Visual Studio and extract the manifest you will see two references to the common controls dll - one processor-agnostic (*) version and one version requiring x86. On a 64-bit machine processor-agnostic references will apparently resolve to the 64-bit version. The error in the event log is legitimate since imports are already defined from whatever version was process first.

To test just try removing the processor-agnostic reference from the manifest and resave the app in Visual Studio. When you rerun the app the errors are gone.

I have been trying to use the solution given above and I have not have success, but one of my co-workers has.   I will continue to try and find a solution for you.

Kind regards,

Stacey

Subject: RE: Mentor Graphics SR 2466244176
      Importance: High

We need to resolve this issue, can we escalate this ticket?

My new laptop awaits, but I need Expedition to work over VPN and I am stuck until we resolve this issue.

But did you remove all the previous versions, before installing the new?

I tried several versions of Expedition, 7.9, 7.9.2, 7.9.3 and no luck on any of these versions.

Subject: Mentor Graphics SR 2466244176

Hello John,

I found reference to a defect, but it was logged against a different release. I show you are on EE7.9 is this correct?

According to the defect the problem is caused by :

·        This error is caused by a wrong manifest embedded in the FormDesigner application. If you open the application in Visual Studio and extract the manifest you will see two references to the common controls dll - one processor-agnostic (*) version and one version requiring x86. On a 64-bit machine processor-agnostic references will apparently resolve to the 64-bit version. The error in the event log is legitimate since imports are already defined from whatever version was process first. To test just try removing the processor-agnostic reference from the manifest and resave the app in Visual Studio. When you rerun the app the errors are gone.

IMO this should be fixed by Adobe - and obviously since the FormDesigner app is 32-bit the reference should be restricted to 32-bit.

Mentor has a fix but you will need to update to the current version. There was no workaround listed except above and I will check into if that is something we can do. 

You might be able to uninstall all previous versions of Mentor product and then re-install, but that is just a guess on my part right now.

I’ll let you know if I find out more.

Kind regards,

Stacey