5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 2:18 AM by a.sassano

Off screen or invisible drafting items, lines and text

chris.thierolf

Does anyone know how to easily find these occurances in PADs layout that only seem to be revealed when reverting to CAM? I have a drafting item that is not visible on my screen but is located at some far off coordinate causing a "plot too large.." error when I try to view gerber/CAM document in CAM mode. I tried to run a search but was not successful.

thanks

• 1. Re: Off screen or invisible drafting items, lines and text
          jmatthews

ASCIIi-out and look for some "out there" coordinates. It helps if you know what layer(s) the item(s) is on.

You can then edit the data out of the ASCII file and re-import.

I'd be willing to look at it if you'd like (and won't get in trouble for sharing). I would guarantee non-disclosure of course.

Use this email if you do send it: pflugerjohn@aol.com

• 2. Re: Off screen or invisible drafting items, lines and text
            chris.thierolf

Through CAM I was able to adjust the offsets enough to see what drafting object is causing the issue and it appears to be a another title block template inserted at an off screen xy location. Through ascii export I see what appears to be the coordinates so is there a way I can goto those coordinates and select the items for delete instead of reimporting the edited ascii?....Actually, on second look, I don't understand the coordinate mapping in the ascii file. The xy coordinates don't match up with the text and 2d lines that I can see on my screen. Any insight?

• 3. Re: Off screen or invisible drafting items, lines and text
              jmatthews

Export the ASCII in current units instead of basic units, that should make it easier to understand.

It's probably easier to understand once you've done it, but you simply delete the stuff with the "out there" dimensions. A simple test would be to delete one piece, then view it up to see if you actually deleted something from the stray data., after that, it's just a matter of getting comfortable with editing the ASCII file.

• 4. Re: Off screen or invisible drafting items, lines and text
                Wayne

Hi, a  little late to the scene here I realize.

The problem you're seeing is one that I've seen in multiple versions/upgrades of PADs.

Usually what I end up doing is zooming the screen out as far as it will go, set my select criteria to "Select Anything" then select in large swathes anything outside the design area.  This usually seems to catch the suspect "donor" items.

Failing that, you go through the color scheme and turn all layers to a color.  Often this will also turn up the problem.

It seems to happen periodically when putting together the fab notes for sending out to the board house.  When taking a particular fab note from the library onto the design it makes a ghost or image on the actual design - which you can't see.  I got into the habit of doing the CTRL/ALT/E.  This should put you at the extents of your design - and let you know if you have any donor drawing pieces.

Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: Off screen or invisible drafting items, lines and text
                  a.sassano

Use a Script to find and select the objects. Delete it by pressing delete key.

For example

--------------------

Sub Main

For Each oDrw In ActiveDocument.Drawings

If oDrw.PositionX < -100 Then

Debug.Print Time & "  " & oDrw.PositionX

oDrw.selected=True

End If

Next

End Sub

--------------------

You must set the correct coordinates