1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2012 7:11 AM by Andreas.Schaefer

Controlling CIrcuit Move & Copy

foxsr_val

We are trying to use this feature copying from one design to another with a very closely matched design, with mixed results.

We can get it to work fairly well until we look closer.

Some parts will not match even though they look like they should.  Same thing for nets.

What is the criteria the algorithm uses for picking the parts and nets to use.  We have 4 sets of 2 channel circuits.

We thought we had success in unplacing components that we wanted it to pick from and having all others on the board (even if we had to temporarily make a huge board)

We found that it will use parts that are already used somewhere else sometimes.  (This related to the fact that there are many decoupling caps throughout the circuit that share the same nets on both pins.)

It would be nice to be able to select components in a circuit and have them be the selection pool for the filter.

Is there some way, that I can have it relax it's rules to allow me to manually map components and nets and then lock them?  Sometimes there are no options to select.

Can I somehow have use the net names, not connectivity to resolve?

Some components will not map, such as my connectors.

Any ideas or feature improvements?

• 1. Re: Controlling CIrcuit Move & Copy
          Andreas.Schaefer

Hi,

in general CM&C uses connectivity to map your circuits.

As an example you have two identical circuits, e.g. two voltage regulators in your design.

When you want to use CM&C here, layout the first one, then selct it by CMC and paste.

Now the wizard recognices, that you overall netlist has a similar circuit (different RefDes and Net names) with

same connecitivity. It automatically identifies it and mekes a proposal which parts and nets to map.

This all is based primary on connectivity and part names.

When the part names are different, it will not be able to map in most cases.

You mentioned, you tested unplace.

This is not necessary, because connectivity will not change.
          You can use the CM&C Selection List to review which components you copy and remove unwanted in this dialog.

There is no way to use net names as a rule. It is all connectivity driven.

But the wizard alows you to map manually other components and nest, if they fit.

Kind regards,

Andreas