1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2012 12:01 PM by strangd

2012 Ohio Michigan Indiana Area Special Local Users’ Group Meeting

strangd

Ohio Michigan Indiana Area Special Local Users’ Group Meeting
      At the Cisco Systems, Richfield, Ohio
      April 25th and 26th, 2012

Good day fellow users:

OMI is inviting the PADS users to this conference along with the Expedition people. OMI welcomes the opportunity to serve the physical design community.

The keynote presenter, Jim Martens of Mentor Graphics, will talk on ‘Design Challenges, Trends and Technology Advances.’ Users should recognize Jim from his many posts on the Mentor Graphics Communities site and OMI is pleased that he is continuing his support of us, the users, by coming here and sharing his incites. We have asked Jim to lead a session on the RSCM Configurator and Multi-Release support environment which will pertain to PADS or Expedition flows. If you are keeping multiple versions of the software active in your office, this session will flag you what you need to know to keep your RSCM server active for everyone.

Semblant will enlighten us about the new Semblant SPF surface finish and conformal coating. Many of us specify that our boards are to be conformal coated and that usually means that re-work must include removal of the coating before soldering can be accomplished. A Semblant SPF covered PCB can be soldered through the finish!

On April 25th, Mentor Graphics and Oasis will be showing us ‘What is New and Cool’ in the Expedition Enterprise software and the PADS software products.

Kendall Hiles has been busy working on FlipChip packaging using Expedition. He has created a FlipChip toolkit for helping out in this design space. Kendall has been writing a ton of automation for FlipChips and other uses. His presentation will show what he has written and how it will be of help to you.

LED Lighting on Printed Circuit Boards – Light Waves and Heat transfer will cover choosing the color spectrum of ‘white’ LEDs, density of LED packaging, pulling the heat out of the package, non-discoloring high temperature soldermask, thermal vias or build-up thermal plug and cold plate heat sinking.

If you have been paying any attention to the Mentor Automation Community WEB site you will know that Kendall Hiles has been very involved developing an automation programming toolkit and helping answer end users answer questions submitted to the community site. On our workshop day, Kendall will be demonstrating many of the scripts and programs that he and others have submitted to the community that are designed to make the life of the user easier by getting special tasks done with ease.

Thursday afternoon will not be your standard Signal Integrity class. The presentation will contain a description of a CMOS signal creation and propagation through a PCB trace. The presentation will explain why PCB designers are in the business of generating fields, not reducing them. There are NO ‘current loops’ with these signals; it is a good math model for simulation but it not what is happening. Come to this presentation and let’s talk a little electrical heresy.

How do I register for the meeting?

To register for the April 25-26, 2012 OMI A SLUG meeting in Richfield, Ohio please e-mail us that you will be attending, fill out the attached registration form and send it, FAX it, or otherwise get in touch with:

Dwain Strang
      2244 Yellow Creek Road
      Akron, Ohio 44333-2314
      (330) 869-0792 (phone)
      (440) 625-2294 (FAX)
      dastrang@aol.com

If you would like to pre-register to attend the OMI A SLUG meeting or the workshops (but not both), the cost is $15.00 per person per day, for either day.

If you would like to pre-register to attend both the OMI A SLUG meeting and the workshops, the total cost is $25 per person for both days combined.

Registration at the door the day of the meeting or the workshops will be $15.00 per person per day.

Please make checks payable to: O. M. I. Area Slug. We are sorry but we are not able to accept credit cards for payment.

Full refund until April 20, 2012. NO refund April 21, 2012 of after.

These funds will help to cover the cost of food, drinks and supplies.

Where can I stay?

If you will need a place to stay, there are several hotels near the Cisco site. To the south at the I-77 / Rt. 18 exit (just below the area shown on the map) there are:

Holiday Inn Akron West 330-666-4131
      Extended Stay America 330-666-3177
      Best Western Inn 330-670-0888
      Comfort Inn 330-666-5050
      Fairfield Inn by Marriott 330-668-2700
      Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Richfield, OH 330-523-5000

This is the Montrose area and there you will find restaurants, movies and shopping.

How do I get there?

Cisco Systems is south of Cleveland, and just north of Akron near the I-77 / I-271 interchange.

Cisco Systems, Inc.
      4125 Highlander Parkway
      Richfield, Ohio 44286

Cisco Systems is located in Richfield, Ohio. Cisco can be reached by taking the Wheatley Rd. exit 143 from I-77 just south of the I-271 interchange and from that exit going west on Wheatley until you come to Brecksville Rd. You should be able to see the Cisco System building to the southwest. Turn south onto Brecksville Rd. and west at the Stonegate Corporate Park entrance a block down the road. Cisco will be on your right.

DIRECTIONS FROM THE CLEVELAND/HOPKINS AIRPORT:

Start out going North on RIVERSIDE DR towards E RENTAL RD by turning left. RIVERSIDE DR becomes JACKSON RD. Turn RIGHT onto PARK RD ( 0.1 Miles). Turn RIGHT onto TERMINAL DR (0.1 Miles). Turn LEFT to take the OH-237 N ramp towards
      I-71/CLEVELAND /I-480 (0.3 Miles). Merge onto OH-237 N (0.2 Miles). Stay straight to go onto BEREA FRWY (0.2 Miles). Take the
      I-480 E exit towards I-480 E /YOUNGSTOWN (0.5 Miles). Merge onto I-480 E (9.1 Miles). Take the I-77 N/I-77 S exit (0.2 Miles). Take the I-77 S exit towards AKRON (0.6 Miles). Merge onto I-77 S. Take the I-271N / RT176 Richfield Exit 143. At the top of the exit turn right onto RT176. Turn left at first light onto Brecksville Road. Take the first right onto Highlander Parkway and enter Stonegate Corporate Park. Take the 3rd entrance off of Highlander Parkway and turn right into the Cisco parking lot. After entering the Cisco parking lot turn right just before the building. Follow this to the front of the building.

Visitor parking is in front. Enter front left floor.
      Receptionist is located on the left side of the first floor.