Your customer is making a high requirement as i think.And max may answer the question.
I believe in the Drill Analysis you are referring to the categories "Thermal Connection (Small Pin) (Thermal Connection)" and "Thermal Connection (Large Pin) (Thermal Connection)".
For these categories the calculation used is determine by the cumulative area of thermals connecting the through pin to layers. The measurement is a result of <number of thermal spokes> * <width of spokes> * <layer thickness>. Layer thickness is the value of layer attribute Copper Weight (oz) * 1.41 (the thickness of 1 ounce of copper). If you work in metric units, multiply the number obtained for layer thickness by the translation factor 25.4.
You are questioning why we are using only the width and not the width times the length of the thermal spoke.
If I have this correct and based on your explanation below, I believe you have factory based results that indicated the length does impact solderability. I can see how that could be evaluated with good emperical results gathered from real world application.
I suggest that you file an enhancement request at the Mentor's IDEAs sites and I will consider this for a future release based on acknowlegement from other Valor NPI users. ( https://mentorideas.brightidea.com/valor )
Thanks for the positive response . We were in detail Analysis stage with respect to thermal value and its solderability and found many other board facotors are affecting the solderability in addition to the thermal value .And some time thermal value will be the less factor when considering the other board parameters ,So if we works better ,we need to add the other parameter and variable from the current setting in valor ,please see below for our findings the solderability w.r.t board parameters
1. Thermal value much not make any impact if all connected planes are in very bottom layers
2. If the connected planes are very less area with spokes ,this will not be any factor in solderability (mostly less than board thickness)
3. Spoke length also the factor of better solderability.
4. The solderabilty will affect if we are using with " more no of layers"
Current thermal value and solderabillity is matching if the board parameters as below mentioned
1. If the spokes and planes are connected in different layers (6 layers)
2. Thermal with 2 spokes not taken care in valor,and we found good result if we are having only two spokes in different layers.
3. Different pin sizes are available to set the value
So we need to customize the ERF Setting ,based on the board thickness ,no of layers ,spoke length ,connected layer pattern,Plane search radius .(spoke width ,small pin- large pin category and copper oz factor already there in ERF)
If you require our detailed analysis data ,I will share it separately .If you need any further clarifications please feel free to contact
Thanks and Regards