1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2012 8:56 PM by sarojini

Problems encountered using VALUE property with brackets in DA

radhakrishnan

Hi All,

This request is on behalf of one of our customers. This customer uses Classic Board Station Flow. The customer is facing an issue in downstream tools like Fablink due to an issue that has its roots in Design Architect. (which the customer has diagnosed themselves).

During schematic entry in DA, the customer is manually populating the VALUE property with a text starting with the character NL. This to specify that the specific part is Not Loaded in a certain assembly. I’ve shown a snapshot below showing two scenarios.

The first snapshot with the open bracket string “NL(0.1uF” is creating problem in downstream applications like Fablink during ‘Check Artworks’. (Scepter, which is invoked in the background crashes with m2s_err message)

The 2nd snapshot below shows the one which does not create any such issues. You can observe here that the VALUE property shows the value as “NL(0.1uF) with the closing brackets.

I was able to simulate the problem working over their design directly. And I’ve observed that it does not produce any errors when the closing brackets are present. You can also simulate the problem by using the Section of the schematic shown below in the snapshots.

If the user inadvertently forgets to close the bracket while populating the VALUE property, it results in Check Artwork functionality in Fablink to crash with m2s_err message. The Check Artwork functionality invokes scepter in the background. I understand that scepter tries to extract a Netlist from layout to cross check with the artworks and when it encounters an open bracket string it crashes down. Since scepter is an obsolete product, can something be done in Design Architect to pick this kind of problem and pop-up a warning for the user?

The Default Sheet/Schematic check does not flag this issue as a warning/error, but I’m aware that a User specified ‘schematic userrule’ file can be specified to make DA pop them up as warnings. Please assist in writing this file for me and using it in DA or suggest any other better method to report such problems in DA.

(or)

Can someone help me with a custom AMPLE code to pick up such problems in Design Architect?