6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 2:30 PM by chris_balcom

How to automatically include additional lines in CDL file during LVS run?

mark.lin

I need to add a few lines of  *.EQUIV layout_name=SPICE_name in CDL file for LVS.  Suppose I don't want to change the original LVS rule file from foundry and I need to repeat this process (i.e., add *.EQUIV lines) for every schematic in the project.  Is there any simple way that I can place these fixed *.EQUIV lines  in my, .e.g., runset file, to automatically add to CDL file without any manual CDL text file manipulation? 

• 1. Re: How to automatically include additional lines in CDL file during LVS run?
          chris_balcom

This is something I personally asked for many years ago. I wanted to have an SVRF rule file statement that would automatically include some file I specified into whatever source netlist was used for the LVS run.

I found a TechNote that describes how to manually add a netlist to the source netlist using the GUI. I wonder if this process could be easily automated by checking to see what appears in the runset file, and then maybe making sure that info is always in the runsets you use for LVS. I'd be interested to see if this helps. It's a very common need I think. It would be nice to streamline the process.

• 2. Re: How to automatically include additional lines in CDL file during LVS run?
            mark.lin

Chris,

Thanks for the help.  It partially solves the problem since any additional lines in the user-defined CDL file must be appended to the END of the CDL file generated by Calibre.   This is OK for *.EQUIV lines but it will NOT work for .OPTIONS SCALE=1.e-6 since, I guess, scale factor must be placed at the TOP of the CDL file.   Well, probably "half a loaf is better than none".   Thanks again for your time and help.

• 3. Re: How to automatically include additional lines in CDL file during LVS run?
              chris_balcom

Hi Mark,

What I'm about to say sounds like a kludge to me but I'd like to share it anyway and get your opinion.

If you *always* want a certain file to be first in the included list of files, how about listing that one in the GUI setup dialog box that comes up from the pulldown menu for:

Setup >> Preferences >> Templates >> Source Path

If you put something like mylib.spi in that field, then the other source netlist(s) can be added last instead of first.

Alternatively, you could make sure that template field is blank, and then the files listed in the saved runset will be used when the runset is loaded. Here is an example line from a runset I was experimenting with:

*lvsSourcePath: test1.spi test2.spi test3.spi

• 4. Re: How to automatically include additional lines in CDL file during LVS run?
                mark.lin

Chris,

Unfortunately, I still don't have any success for your suggested approach due to the restricted features in Calibre.   I may be tied up in the next few hours and may come back to this issue later.  Thanks anyway.  I will keep you posted if I am able to pull out any success.

• 5. Re: How to automatically include additional lines in CDL file during LVS run?
                  mark.lin

Chris,

As promised, I have revisited this issue and I have pulled off some success.   I gave up on the fruitless gleanings for the maneuver of CDL file concatention inside the Calibre itself. Rather, I focus on the Cadence's Virtuoso layout tool.   With the installation of Calibre, Virtuoso has a "Calibre" menu.   I can pull down this "Calibre" menu and select Setup => Netlist Export.   On the pop-up menu, I then can easily select "micron" as the scale factor and specify the pathname for the user-specified CDL file.     Then, when running LVS, this CDL file concatenation is totally transparent to me.   Everything is working like a charm now with minimal manual intervention.   Again, thanks for the help.

• 6. Re: How to automatically include additional lines in CDL file during LVS run?
                    chris_balcom

Thanks to you for sharing a good solution. Lot's of users are likely to benefit from reading this.