12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 8:49 PM by parth.sutariya

About the Non Electrical Parts

lariy2006

Excuse me, what is the Non Electrical Parts in PADS? How to creat? What are the uses?Thanks!

• 1. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
          jduquette

Good question.  I've been a PADS user for many, many years and I've never used them.

• 2. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
            jduquette

But now I'm curous...

PADS Logic says "non electrical parts -  Parts with no pins. For example, a mounting screw shown in the schematic for inventory tracking in the bill of materials."

PADS Layout says "ECO Registered Parts -  Allows a part to be passed between the design and schematic file for  forward and backward annotation. By default, all existing part types in  your design are ECO registered.

Tip: Typically you do not  select this check box for non-electrical parts. For example, if you  create and add a mounting hole to your design in the layout software,  you would not need the part (mounting hole) to pass back to your  schematic when you perform a backward annotation of the design." - Side note, unless you want the mounting hole connected to a net, such as Chassis GND

So if something has the 'ECO Registered part' unchecked in the Part Information dialog box (in the Part Editor) does that make it non-electrical?

• 3. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
              lariy2006

In the PADS Logic, the non electrical parts are different from the ECO Registered Parts.

But I don't know the uses of the non electrical parts. I can set up these to the ECO Registered Parts for the uses of the annotation.

In addition , I konw how to creat the ECO Registered Parts, but don't know how to creat the non electrical parts.

Can the non electrical parts is useless? I don't think so.

• 4. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
                jduquette

So Mentor, any insight on this, or do I need a Service Request?

This looks like it would be very handy for components that need mounting hardware, such as screws or a spacer.  Can I get it to match the reference designator?  So if I had a connector that needed to screw onto the board, how would I use non-electrical parts to get a BOM like this:

Q   RefDes    Part

1    J1             Connector

2   J1M           Mounting screws

Thanks,

• 5. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
                  lariy2006

Thanks for your answer.  I understand what are the non electrical parts on account of  your answer. And I do something later, definite answer is the parts created by the 2D lines only[CAE and DECAL].

Thank you very much!

• 6. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
                    parth.sutariya

Hello All ,

I still have the same question whether how to create a Non electrical part ?

Definetly I know what non electrical part is but creating that part is a confusion ?

We can create Non - ECO registered part and set rules as required in its options .

But there is no such option for creating Non electrical part in Part Information dialog box .

We definetly have option for Non electrical part in tools ---> option ..

So please assist whether how to create a non electrical part ?

--

Best Regards ,

Parth Sutariya

Hardware CAD Engineer

MATRIX COMSEC

Vadodara , Gujarat

INDIA

• 7. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
                      kabaleeswaran.K.R

Hi sutariya,

if you need to create non electrical,create as Decal (Footprint),after creating you have add by ECO off method

• 8. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
                        parth.sutariya

Hi ,

You mean to say that just untick ' ECO registered ' check box while linking the PCB Decal in part information dialog box in Pads Logic .

Am I right ?

--

Best Regards ,
                        Parth Sutariya
                        Hardware CAD Engineer
                        MATRIX COMSEC
                        Vadodara , Gujarat
                        INDIA

• 9. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
                          kabaleeswaran.K.R

hi,

No need to assign the parts in Pads Logic, you can add the decal in layout using ECO

• 10. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
                            parth.sutariya

Hi ,

Thanks for the suggestion .

Actually we need the part to be included in BOM information .Its PCB Decal is not required .

It is just to be included in PADS Logic so as to get its information in BOM .

So I just wanted to clarify confusion between Non ECO registered part & Non Electrical part .

I guess the method you mentioned in your reply was for Non Electrical part. Am I right ?

But for the purpose which I need , which one you suggest to go for ?

• 11. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
                              jduquette

In the part editor when you have the 'edit electrical' dialog up the help button gives a pretty good summary:

ECO Registered Part

Allows a part to be passed between the design and schematic file for  forward and backward annotation. By default, all existing part types in  your design are ECO registered.

Tip: Typically you do not select this check  box for non-electrical parts. For example, if you create and add a  mounting hole to your design in the layout software, you would not need  the part (mounting hole) to pass back to your schematic when you perform  a backward annotation of the design.

So if you want a part to sync between Logic and Layout it must be ECO registered (i.e. something on the BOM and on the PCB layout).

Non-electrical parts are typically only on the layout.

• 12. Re: About the Non Electrical Parts
                                parth.sutariya

Hi ,

Thanks for the info.

That cleared some confusion between Non Electrical & Non ECO registered parts .

So its now clear that I should choose for Non ECO Registered part as I want just attribute information in BOM with no PCB Decal assigned to that part .