2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2012 3:32 PM by Gary_Lameris

How to update instances of hierarchical blocks

benjamin.couillard

Hi everyone,

I created a hierarchical with a lot of components and one resistor that has a value of 150 ohm. I instantiated 16 times this block and I can "push" on the 16 instances and see the various instantiated blocks. If I click on the resistor I can see that both the block value and the instance value are 150 ohms.

Now, say I want to change the value of the resistor in hierarchical block to 100 ohms. I'm able to change the value in the hierarchical block, but in any of the 16 instances the instantiated value stays 150 ohm (but the block value is 100 ohm). How can I force the 16 instantiated blocks to have a value of 100 ohms? I tried updating the symbol and "updating other objects" but nothing worked. Does someone know how ?

Best regards

Benjamin

• 1. Re: How to update instances of hierarchical blocks
          jduquette

This might work...  Change the value of the one resistor back to 150 ohms (or revert to your original file for best results).  Now <right-click> to edit the attributes and change the value from 150 to the 100.  Before you hit 'okay' select the radio button next to 'apply update to all parts of this type'.  That typically searches through every page of the schematic and updates all parts with matching parameters; will it work for a hierarchy?

If that doesn't work then I don't know of a way.  I gave up on hierarchial files in PADS Logic about six years ago as I was very disappointed in the performance.  I've heard that DxD is better for hierarchies.

• 2. Re: How to update instances of hierarchical blocks
            Gary_Lameris

With DxDesigner, each instance contains updated values, DxDatabook places properties on the block level to maintain the original value.

Use Edit Search and delete the Instance values and specify the value on the block.

property2.png