Doing a 12 layer backplane. Layers 1 and 12 give me this error and do not generate. All others layers are OK.
How can I fix this?
What version of Layout are you using? When you edit a CAM document, then go to Device Setup, in the Photo plotter Setup dialog box what does it say for number of apertures?
If it says a number less than 989 set it to 989 and Regenerate the apertures. If the aperture box is already set to 989 and is grayed out then click the Regenerate button and try creating the Gerbers again. There may be a pause after clicking the Regenerate button as it builds the aperture table.
Janet- How much of a pause? It runs to 100%, then just sits there and nothing else seems to happen, the screen seems to be locked. Is it still working? I'm running Intel i7 2.93 GHZ, 4.00 GB. The processsor is only running at 10%.
Depending on the number of apertures it may sit there a while. You can try deleting the old apertures first, then do Regenerate. Sometimes that helps.
You can also try ASCII export/import and see if there are any issues with the file.
If it doesn't work and you have support please submit a new SR with the file and we will be happy to look at it.
Still no luck. When I did the ascii import I got a few errors. Here's one example:
ERROR: Component name Q7. Decal SOT-23_D3 doesn't have terminals G,S,D presented in Part Type G50RT059-1.
Several of these. Could this be causing my gerber issue?
Pin mismatches can cause all kinds of problems. Fix all the errors so the pin names match in the Part Type, schematic symbol and PCB Decal. Probably best to get rid of the G,S,D and use numbers.
"Probably best to get rid of the G,S,D and use numbers." That is terrible advice. I guarantee more problems will arise from mismatching generic semiconductor symbol numbers with various different packages than the possibility of causing one person to have problems with too many apertures. Using alphanumerics like G S and D on the symbol and decal prevents packaging errors and therefore very costly design errors.
Bruce, fix the pin errors, but keep the alphanumerics.
Update: I let it sit over-night, and sometime it decided to finish. The two layers in question generated OK.
Now moving on to fixing the footprint issues. This has been an ongoing problem with the company that I'm doing work for.
Retrieving data ...