Skip navigation
170,033 Views 21 Replies Last post: Apr 28, 2013 2:09 AM by lilian2100 RSS
Anil Embedded 18 posts since
Jul 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2012 11:26 AM

Using open-source software for commercial embedded designs? Talk to us & win a cool t-shirt!

Do you use open-source software or perhaps a commercial solution built upon open-source? Tell us how this is working out for you. What do you like and what you hate about it.

At the end of the month, the top most active ranked contributors will win this uber-cool Sourcery CodeBench t-shirt!

Click on the "reply" button on the bottom-right to get started.

Tools_T-Shirt-FinalLayout.png

prasad.nallani Lurker 1 posts since
Sep 6, 2012

Hi ,

Present we are using linux and android open -source software.

Linux:Linux kernel is used for our ARM embedded targets.In the open source we can develop own device drivers and user frindly operations.Easisy we can develop mobiles using android open software.Its free source.

Thanks,

Prasad N

Mukund.Jampala Lurker 1 posts since
Sep 7, 2012

We use linux combimed with other open source thrid pary software ton multiple platforms.

Linux and other open source software provide us with a platform that is readility available and makes the time to market much faster.

The experience keeps variaing.

mainly because of the lot of third party software and compatibity issue that arise out of them.

enmingx Lurker 3 posts since
Sep 7, 2012

Hi

My name is Enming XIE. I am student of UTBM in France.

The open-source software I have used are:

- Qt / QtE : very good design tool for embedded application.   The famous KDE is developped with it

- MDK 4.12 (by Enterprise Keil) : Very good IDE for embedded debug / development, more advanced than the Keil 2/3

- Eclipse : good IDE to impot projects, easy to develop. very good embedded design tool

- VS 2010/2012 : Microsoft great IDE, similar to Eclipse

- Qemu : open-source emulator for embedded develop, so good, I have used a lot

- ADS 1.2 : ARM Development Suite, really good IDE for ARM develop, working together with AXD you can easily debug

- Tornado2.2 : very good IDE for VxWorks developement, along with Wind3 you can develop GUI of VxWorks

- Buildroot : really good and easy tool to generate almost everything for your embedded development, espesially Embedded Linux

- GTK(+) : similar to Qt, a library of  GUI development, very good.   The famous GNOME is developped with it

- EFL : similar to Qt, another library for GUI development in the domain of Embedded. Lighter than Qt and GTK

- Busybox : also very good tool for embedded development

- GCC + GDB : no need to explain

- Git, Mercurial, etc : version control software, very useful

- DNW, SecureCRT, etc : useful tool for download images into NAND/NOR of the boards (developement chips)

yurig Lurker 3 posts since
Sep 20, 2012

Hi!

I'm using GCC and binutils for bare metal embedded software development, and in my opinion, this tools are not the best choice. They are most suitable for higher-level linux- or android-based systems. It's very important to have a handy GUI debugger too. I was trying to use Eclipse and DDD, but now I'm using Insight...it's wretched too :(.

I've ported open-source eCos RTOS for my platform. It's configurable OS. There's special configuration tool, but you need to study lots of source code for changing config options. Maybe, commercial version from eCosCentric is better?

Finally, I want to say, that when you use free tools, you don't pay money, you spend time. I've spent half of the night to create the patch for Insight's source code (it was 'Segmentation fault' error when reading registers). I was working with qualitative commercial IDE. It's a thousand times better then GCC & binutils & GDB & Insight.

The most useful open-source product I used is the SystemC simulator of my processor.

Sep 7, 2012

You are right. Of course, in much level, a payed software is often better than a free one. But open-source does't mean that it's free, that's different.

What I know is that GCC (G++) is one of the most important contribution which is made by the open-source community (GNU), suitable for many situations and different architectures.

Insight, do you mean Source Insight ? It's a very good tool to help read source code, but for debug, I have't tried. As I know, Source Insight is not free, is that right ?

I haven't used eCos, so I don't know. I have a little knowledge about uCosII, a good open-source RTOS.

Welcome your opnions and pointing of my mistakes :=)

Sep 20, 2012

Insight is a GUI to GDB written in TCL/TK. It's being released under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). Insight is free & open-source.

uCOS-II and uCOS-III are good RTOS, but they are quite expensive. Are you using Vx-Works?

Sep 7, 2012

VxWorks is expensive. uCosII is in some level smaller than VxWorks and suitable for new learner of RTOS.

I hava downloaded the source code of uCosII, but the source code of VxWorks, I can't find.

I haven't experience in using RTOS, I just "touched" an edge of RTOS........ I am reading a book about uCosII written by a Chinese doctor in USA.

Still so much to learn.

ricardo_anguiano Embedded 12 posts since
Jul 5, 2011

Hello Folks,

I've deleted a comment from this thread for violating our terms of use, which among other things, prohibits illegal trading of proprietary software source code.  Please help elevate the conversation with your comments:

"Do you use open-source software or perhaps a commercial solution built  upon open-source? Tell us how this is working out for you. What do you  like and what you hate about it."

Thanks,

Ricardo Anguiano

Mentor Graphics

+1-510-354-6774

kiran.gajendragad Lurker 1 posts since
Sep 27, 2012
Sep 27, 2012 11:35 PM in response to: Anil
Re: Using open-source software for commercial embedded designs? Talk to us & win a cool t-shirt!

Hi ,

Present we are using MQX for ARM Cortex-M4 (Kinetis) and linux 2.6 for ARM 9.

Linux:Linux kernel is used for our ARM embedded targets.In the open source we can develop own device drivers and user frindly operations.

MQX: is used for our ARM embedded targets.In the open source we can develop own device drivers and user frindly operations.

Thanks,

Kiran MG

Sep 20, 2012

No one won "uber-cool Sourcery CodeBench t-shirt"

sakthirengaraj Lurker 1 posts since
Nov 30, 2012

Hi CodeSourcery,

I am working in Embedded system product development company.

Here we are using folllowing opensource tool,

1. Python scripting -  UI development and office automation

2.Perl scripting - Software Testing

3.sdcc - Using for P89v51RD2 ,P89V664

4.arm-gcc-toolchain - For LPC1343 and LPC1769 ARM Cortex-M3 series

5. GNU/Linux (Debian Squeeze) we are using as OS for Desktop computers

6.SVN - Version mangement tool

Regards

Rengaraj

Message was edited by: sakthirengaraj

raghunandan.bn Lurker 1 posts since
Dec 21, 2012
Dec 21, 2012 12:38 AM in response to: Anil
Re: Using open-source software for commercial embedded designs? Talk to us & win a cool t-shirt!

with open source you get to innovate and its a win-learn-win.. T shirt L size

iamspl.xxx Lurker 1 posts since
Dec 21, 2012

Hi,

We use Open source softwares such as Linux Desktops in our office.

We use Open Suse 11.3

OpenOffice.

Konqueror

KDE4 desktop.

WebKit bassed browser.

VIM source code editor.

The list is very big i cannot add it all of them here.

Thanks for initiating and giving T Shirts. Please send me one.

Thanks,

klakow Lurker 1 posts since
Dec 21, 2012

Yes i use code-red free IDE for NXP MCU development.

It is not bed, only i am an old developer and want use black backgrount of Soursecode development, this is not realy easy to change all the colors.

Holy Christmas time from Germany, Ulrich Klakow

amd.zuhair Lurker 1 posts since
Dec 21, 2012

Hi

I am using Frescale MQX for ARM Cortex-M Series and linux 2.6 for ARM 9.

Linux:Linux kernel is used for our ARM embedded targets.In the open source we can develop own device drivers and user frindly operations.

MQX: is used for our ARM embedded targets.In the open source we can develop own device drivers and user frindly operations.

Zuhair

san822 Lurker 1 posts since
Jan 5, 2013

Hi,

I am using OS Linux Mint on my desctops computer.

List of using open source software for my work:

emulator Qemu;

IDE Eclipse;

KiCad for simple EDA;

Open Office;

brouser Mozila Firefox.

Best regards,

Alex.

srinugnt2000 Lurker 1 posts since
Feb 5, 2013

hi,

we are using linux with both Qt and Android on our ARM platform, and also obviously we use cross compilers and debugers witch also a open source software,

comming to usage:

• I can modify the source according to my own requirment, in this point of view we have changed our linux kernel a lot to achive our requriments, this can only be done with open source.
  • we can use the default preebuilt source directly, and more over we can get all the source with out investment.
  • by using open-source customization of hardware as well as software is flexible.
  • Finally by using Open-source i can get a cool T-shirt.

and my personal intrest about Open soruce we can learn from scrach (i.e the total internal issue), and i enjoy a lot while working with open-source especally Linux, but one thing seems difficult for me is understanding the code, but as a developer its not mandatroy to understand the code, but just to know how to use that, so its not a problem.

At last i can conclude that Open-Source was awesome.

Thak You,

Sreenivas.

StijnS Lurker 1 posts since
Feb 6, 2013

I like to build my projects on top of a Linux kernel. It gives me the freedom to modify whatever I want: I can freely add drivers, redirect video outputs, run it on all kinds of systems... It would all be impossible using a closed source operating system!

Next to that I like to manually optimize systems (I am still convinced I produce more optimized code than some precompilers)

Next to that not only open-source software is cool, open-source hardware is too! Think about the endless list of cool stuff people have done with e.g. the Arduino boards! Everybody is free to manipulate the design to their needs and come up with nice improvements.

List of open-source things that I use: Qt, Linux, Firefox, NetBeans, Arduino, Raspberry PI, Wireshark, FileZilla... And many more. Big thanks to Sourceforge!

Finally: Open-source has made it possible to run Android on my Windows-Mobile phone!

pdemus Lurker 1 posts since
Feb 6, 2013

Hello,

after moving from T-Kernel to Linux for embedded devices using OSS .

GCOV and armRVCT compiler was used for T-Kernel

now using the complete GCC Pro release from Codesourcery for ARM with success

using openEmbedded since 3 Years. it's concept is great.

However, You need a fast workstation with huge hard disk and the documentation is not very complete.

So it's difficult to find many use case for adapting the standard OE distributions on the internet.

after all OE is a flexible cross-compilation tool suite which covers all needs of professional integration and build management.

hoping that documentation and speed and automatisation for continous nightly build will be even better with YOCTO.

regards, peter

goel.agarwal Lurker 1 posts since
Mar 21, 2013

Recently I used open-sourcde Rose Compiler Infrastructure from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. I is used for C/C++ source code static analysis and transformation.

It is eazy to use with lot of APIs for transformation on source code Abstract Syntax Tree.

I used it for two purpose:

1) For converting a single threaded program into multi-threaded one, we were required to cleanup global variables, keeing track if a global varible is being written to or being read. With large source tree and manual process this is a tedious task. I created an automated tool using ROSE where this task was completed in few minutes.

2) With Multiprocessors system on Chip (MPSoc) multiple task can run on each processor or PE. A tool was created to convert a single source application written in C (a single task application) into multi-task application by distributing a set of functions into N tasks. The tool works for small subset of applications written in C.

lilian2100 Lurker 1 posts since
Apr 27, 2013

Hi:

Present we are using linux software on TI AM3359(Cortex A8).
we use GUN command line compile the uboot, linux kernel, and app.

Hope to have the the IDE under the Windows, CodeBench IDE?

Thanks,
lilian.

www.puying-tech.com
lilian2100@vip.sina.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)