3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 8:22 AM by DenisL

How to add Microvias

faizan.ul-haq

Hi,

I need to add microvias of 50um diameter with drill size of 47um for 0.4mm pitch BGA package routing. So far i am unable to find options in PADS layout to put such small microvias. I tried to define microvias of 50um dimensions using

Setup>Pad stack>Pad stack type>Via

The probelm is that the software does not accept such small via dimensions. When i put via diameter of 2mil and drill size of 1.85mil, software starts complaining that your drill size is more than via size..:/

Can anybody help. Screenshot is attached

• 1. Re: How to add Microvias
          DenisL

In the Tools>Options dialog look at the Design tab and check the drill oversize setting. You may need to 'temper' your drill size based on the oversize setting. I seriously doubt that you need or can achieve a 50u hole diameter ever with a laser uVia. Personally, I'd set the uVia pad diameter to be the same as the solder pad for the BGA and downsize the drill from there. I would advise engaging in a dialog with your fabricator to establish their capabilities and recommendations for your uVia.

• 2. Re: How to add Microvias
            faizan.ul-haq

Thanks DanisL, I took the dimensions of microvia pad from the attached document (page 36).Can you check that. If I set the uVia pad diameter to be same as the solder pad for BGA then what should be the size of drill i need to use in this configuration?

BR

• 3. Re: How to add Microvias
              DenisL

From your document, on page 36 I see a guide of 225um[9mil] pad and 125um[5mil] laser drill.

The 47-50um numbers are the SM oversize to create a SM dam between land areas.