7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 5:29 AM by krs

Mentor Node Locked License Extremely Slow

dmatthews

I have been using Mentor products since last decade, so this is not a new licensing issue.  I have DxDesigner and Modelsim on my machine and both have been running fine for years (bugs aside).  However recently both have started to behave in a very strange way with regard to license checkout, or so I believe.  When I first try to open either application, it takes approxiimately 5 minutes for them to start.  Both have separate FlexID 9 dongles (node locked) and both behave in this strange fashion.  I have reinstalled Modelsim (version 10.1) including the dongle driver, tried a different USB port for the dongle, selected a couple of system restore points, and nothing that I have tried seems to make any difference. I am running Win7 64-bit.  Any ideas would be welcome.

• 1. Re: Mentor Node Locked License Extremely Slow
          guy_wettstein

I'm inclined to wonder if something other than your dongles is causing this. If you have other settings for MGLS_LICENSE_FILE or LM_LICENSE_FILE with bad values, you could be experiencing a timeout. Make sure you have the latest dongle drivers and then check if your environment needs any cleanup. The following community docs will help:

Using the Mentor Install Program (MIP) to Update Your Hardware Key Driver (Video)

Using the Advanced Environment Editor for Licensing (video)

Best Regards,

Guy

• 2. Re: Mentor Node Locked License Extremely Slow
            dmatthews

Guy, thanks for the reply.  I’ve attached my environment variables to this email and would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look at it.  One thing I noticed is that the MGC_HOME env var uses unix path delimiters, but I don’t know if that is a problem.  The other noticeable thing is that Cygwin seems to be modifying my path.  I use unix “make” to build the Modelsim simulation netlist produced by vmake and so have downloaded Cygwin.  But I installed this over a year ago, so it would be surprising if this were it. I don’t know how to turn off the Cygwin path modification to test this.

Thanks,

Dave

• 3. Re: Mentor Node Locked License Extremely Slow
              guy_wettstein

Dave,

I don't see anything in your environment that would cause this problem. Cygwin modifying the path is normal as it provides a Unix environment. Licensing is not dependent on the PATH variable anyway.

I recommend you try the Advanced Environment Editor as there are registry settings for licensing that may impact performance as well as making sure you're running the latest drivers.

Best Regards,

Guy

• 4. Re: Mentor Node Locked License Extremely Slow
                dmatthews

Hi Guy,

Thanks for taking the time to look through my environment variables.  I tried to run the version of the license tools that you suggested, but don’t seem to have that.  I assume that this is something that comes with the latest DxDesigner. I am still running the old version of DxDesigner, PADS2007.   While my maintenance is current, my clients still run this version and don’t plan on switching, so I am stuck with this version.  I should point out that I am running this under Windows 7 64-bit and this was achieved with the help of Mentor support.  It has been running fine for a couple of years, and still runs fine today other than it takes minutes to start.  I am also running version 10.1 of Modelsim PE Plus, and this has the same licensing issue. 

Is it possible to install this version of the licensing utility standalone?

Dave

• 5. Re: Mentor Node Locked License Extremely Slow
                  guy_wettstein

Dave,

You can install licensing standalone. Here's the doc that shows how:

Downloading and Installing the Mentor Licensing Software (video)

Another concern is whether you're running any end point protection software that is impacting performance. We are seeing an increasing number of issues as end point protection vendors are inspecting processes and files in real time more and more. That's something you should look for.

Best Regards,

Guy

• 6. Re: Mentor Node Locked License Extremely Slow
                    dale.rebgetz

I had a similar problem several years ago in a floating license setup.

The slowness was associated with an update to the license server.

Of the two products sharing the one license server, one required a much more recent version of the license server than the other.

The new license server would respond efficiently to either product - IF that product was the only one the server new about.

When the license server saw both license keys, the license checkout time went from (sub?)seconds to minutes.

One product was a legacy tool (VeriBest) so my solution was simply to remove that license file except when needed - which was rare.

• 7. Re: Mentor Node Locked License Extremely Slow
                      krs

I think I found an issue. This is the problem with licences. I opened advanced environment editor and removed floating licence.

Worth to see http://communities.mentor.com/docs/DOC-2868

Regards

Krzysztof