2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 7:19 AM by dcox

Layout copper pour/copper/plane area/plane cut out/flood/hatch

vial1001

Hi,

I am new to PADS SOFTWARE.

I am designing a 4 layer PCB using PADS software.

I need to know about drafting toolbar of PADS layout.

what is the difference between copper pour/copper/plane area/plane cut out/flood/hatch???

I tried plane cutout which is nothing but islands of copper in pcb layers. Right?

what about copper. Is it the same or not???

Can anyone help me in understandVivek Alaparthiing this.

Regards

• 1. Re: Layout copper pour/copper/plane area/plane cut out/flood/hatch
          vial1001

I am keeping all the things together

•plane area is only on split/mixed planes and the outline only
          • copper and plane area are the same (plane area shows only outline whereas copper area shows the copper fill area)
          • copper pour is used to create solid power or ground planes for better noise performance. It also reduces the amount of copper to be etched if you are etching the board yourself.

• Flood is nothing but solid copper whereas hatch is thin copper
          • We can specify "keep out" areas where you do not want copper pour, negating the copper pour

Correct me if I am wrong

• 2. Re: Layout copper pour/copper/plane area/plane cut out/flood/hatch
            dcox

First, regardless of what type of copper you create, you are making it with a specific line width.  You can select this before you draw the copper or change it afterwards. You then set the copper hatch grid to define how far apart these lines are when the copper is drawn and whether this hatch is diagonal or orthogonal.  If you draw the copper with a 10 mil grid and set the copper hatch grid to 10 mils, the copper will be solid.  If you set the hatch grid to 20 mils, your copper will draw with 10 mil gaps and look like a net, or a chain link fence if the hatch is set to diagonal.  Copper drawn with 5 mils, hatched at 20, will have 15 mil gaps in coverage.

-Copper is plain static copper.  The edge you define is the edge you get.  You assign a netname to it so Pads can use it to check spacing to other features.

When copper pour or split mixed plane areas are created, you define a native outline.  When these areas are flooded, the native outline is not deleted or changed, but replaced with a new outline with dynamically drawn edges. These edges move when the copper is reflooded due to circuitry changes or spacing values are changed.  Hatching the copper does not change the copper edges, but changes the way the copper looks and its coverage.  You can edit the edges of a flooded copper area, but these changes will be undone when the copper is reflooded.

-Copper pour is an area that is flooded with copper after you create it.  The native edge is dynamically replaced with a drawn edge created based on the spacings you set up in the Design Rules.  The smaller the line is when the copper is drawn, the tighter it will flood into corners and between pads, but it will not violate spacing.  If you create copper with a 5 mil line, but your design rules are such that only a 4 mil gap is available between pads, the copper will not flood between the pads.  You could reduce the line size used to draw the copper or reduce the copper spacing.  Although some fab houses can maintain a 2.5 mil line, my standard designs limit the lower size to 5 mils for copper, mostly because of the points that the copper makes in the corners.  (a sharp point can shift when the board is imaged, potentially causing shorts)  When you save the job and during other aspects of the design, the hatched copper is removed, but the flooded edge remains.  Make sure to rehatch the copper before making photoplots or you will only get the outline.

-plane areas are copper pours that are created on split mixed layers.  They can be manually drawn, or created based on the board outlilne. The difference is in how they flood.  Whereas a copper pour will flood based on the pads present on the layer with all pads present on the photoplot, a plane area pours up to the pads only if they are tied to the plane and are part of a thermal.  On pins that are not tied to the plane, the flooded edge backs away from the hole, not the pad.  This gets more plane coverage between pads that are not tied to the plane. The photoplot for split mixed planes only contains pads that are part of thermals and clearance voids for all the other pins.  The copper-drill spacing is set up in the rules.  The value for the drill is created by adding the hole size specified in the decal to the Drill Oversize value setup in the options. The drill oversize value defaults to 3 mils which allows for up to 1 oz of copper to be plated inside the hole barrel.

-a plane cutout is just a clear area in a split mixed plane.  a copper pour cutout is a clear area inside a copper pour area. This is usually created in areas where the signals should not coupled to planes such as bd areas that contain high intensity noise or AC.

Copper areas can be imbedded in other copper areas, but if that happens, each native copper area needs to have its priority set so Pads knows which plane to flood first, then second and so on.  If two planes are in the same area with the same priority, Pads will not flood either plane.

1 of 1 people found this helpful