1 2 First Previous 18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 10:50 AM by andrew.french

Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode

fuba

Hello Community,

I like to query a Schematic handled in the DxDesigner, for "active" components.

With active components, I mean the Parts which are not crossed out (see my attachment).

The Red Cross in the attached file, is made by the Variant Manager.

I know that I can pull a complete BOM, with the on Board Tools from DxDesigner, but

what I want, is a BOM of the Crossed Out parts.

I have a tool/script running which gets all components listed on a sheet, a selection, or ...

but I am not able to judge with code, if it is a red crossed part or not.

In/With the Variants manager I have the option, to delete those red crossed components.

Then my tool/script will work, but that's not what I want.

So, If you have any help for me regarding scripting around the variant manager, or how to

get the "Crossed Out" parts, I am very happy.

Thanks in advance.

Stefan

• 1. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
          andrew.french

posting to subscribe to thread, also interested in automation and the variant manager.

• 2. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
            Patrick.Cashman

Here's how you do it:

Before we begin:

1. I use VB.net.  This code is not directly transferrable to vbscript, but it should give you the idea of what to do.

2. Because of vb.net, I use a lot of functionality not available in vbscript (or if it is I don't know how to do it).  Arraylists, dictionaries, modules, etc.

3. I declare a lot of variables globally, as they are potentially accessed by many parts of an application.  If you do not see a variable declaration, assume it to be declared at the class or module level somewhere else.

Now:

Step 1: Load the Variant manager:

Public Sub VM_load()

progID = "MGCVARIANTGUI.MGCVariantGUICtrl.1"

addinName = "Variant Manager"

associatedScript = ""

addinPlacement = 0

shortcutKey = ""

addinObj = launchAddin(progID, addinName, associatedScript, addinPlacement, shortcutKey)

Addins = app.Addins

addinObj = Addins.item("Variant Manager")

addinObj.visible = true          ' is there a way to access VM without raising the VM application window?

vmapp = addinObj.Control.VariantGUIApplication

vmdoc = vmapp.VMDocument

End Sub

Step 2:

In some other routine, call the VM_Load sub.  In my case, I populate a listbox with all the variants. This allows the user to choose which variant to use for BOM export or whatever:

Sub load_VM()

Dim var As MGCVARIANTGUI.IMGCVMVariant

Dim vars As MGCVARIANTGUI.IMGCVMVariants

Dim schms As ViewDraw.IStringList

Dim sheets As ViewDraw.IStringList

'make sure there is a sheet open

view = app.ActiveView

If view Is Nothing Then

schms = app.SchematicSheetDocuments.GetAvailableSchematics

sheets = app.SchematicSheetDocuments.GetAvailableSheets(schms.GetItem(1))

app.SchematicSheetDocuments.open(schms.GetItem(1), sheets.GetItem(1))

End If

view = app.ActiveView

VM_load()

vars = vmdoc.variants

For Each var In vars

lst_variants.Items.Remove(var.Name)

Next

For Each var In vars

lst_variants.Items.Add(var.Name)

Next

lbl_status.Text = "Select a Variant to export"

End Sub

Step 3:

As a separate step, run the following.  It populates an arraylist (replaced) and one dictionary (replaced).  One with unplaced parts and one with replaced parts.  These arraylists can be used later on to query a particular component as being unchanged, removed (unplaced), or having a different part number (replaced).

Public Sub load_unplaced_replaced()

Dim tsb As New StringBuilder

Dim n as Integer

vars = vmdoc.variants

var = vars.Item(Main_Form.lst_variants.SelectedIndex + 1)'variants are 1 based, not zero

'Set up lists of the unplaced and replaced components

unplaced.Clear

replaced.Clear

vmcomps = vmdoc.components(var.Name)'gets all the components associated with the variant

vmcompmods = vmdoc.ComponentModifications(var.Name)'gets all the component modifications associated with the variant

n = 0

For Each vmcompmod In vmcompmods

if vmcompmod.Operation = 1 then 'selects out the unplaced components

if vmcompmod.variant.Name = var.Name then 'select only those that are part of the active variant

unplaced.Add(vmcompmod.Component.Name) 'adds the unplaced components to the unplaced arraylist

End If

End If

if vmcompmod.Operation = 2 then 'selects out the replaced components

if vmcompmod.variant.Name = var.Name then 'select only those that are part of the active variant

replaced.Add(vmcompmod.Component.Name, vmcompmod.NewPartNumber)

End If

End If

n = n + 1

Next

End Sub

Now I use the following to get all design components (without visiting each sheet).

design_name = app.GetProjectData.GetiCDBDesignRootBlock(app.GetActiveDesign())

scomps = nothing

scomps = app.DesignComponents("", design_name, "-1", , False)          'gets all the components in the design

Cycle through scomps using a for/each loop and do whatever comparison you want against the unplaced/replaced lists.

That's the basics of it.  Of course there is a ton more that can be done around this, but that should get you started on the right track.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
              andrew.french

Its going to be a little while till I can look at this in more detail, but wanted to thank you Patrick for taking the time to make such a detailed post!

• 4. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                fuba

Dear Patrick,

thanks for this first detailed answer. I will go through and check.

I also come back on this and give an answer, but this will take some time, due to other workload I have at the moment.

Thanks so far, and bye

Stefan

• 5. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                  fuba

Dear Patrick,

I have started checking out your code. I am also using VB.Net, thats fine.

I have another question regarding the "launchAddIn" funcrtion you are calling.

** Where is it implemented ?

** Do I need a special reference to ??? which DLL ? or ...

The rest seams good so far.

Thanks again

Stefan

• 6. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                    Patrick.Cashman

Sorry, I forgot to include that.  There is also another function needed, which I'm including as well.

Function launchAddin(progID, localName, associatedScript, defaultPlacement, shortcutKey)

Dim toolBarMenu as Boolean

Dim quiet as Boolean

Dim groupName As String

Addins = app.Addins

toolBarMenu = False

quiet = True

groupName = ""

launchAddin = alreadyLoaded(localName)

If launchAddin Is Nothing Then

launchAddin = Addins.Add(progID, localName, associatedScript, defaultPlacement, shortcutKey, groupName, quiet, toolbarMenu)

If launchAddin Is Nothing Then

Msgbox(progID & " Addin not created.")

End If

End If

return launchaddin

End Function

Function alreadyLoaded(localName)

alreadyLoaded = Nothing

Dim ain

For Each ain In Addins

If ain.Name = localName Then

alreadyLoaded = ain

Exit For

End If

Next

Return alreadyLoaded

End Function

If if seems that the logic of these functions is convoluted, I agree.  I cobbled them together from some examples in the Mentor help, which were not made for vb.net and which I could barely follow as it was. There are a lot of the switches and other parameters that are not described anywhere, so I'm constantly having to guess what is needed and what is not.  I debug relentlessly until it works, but often I do not fully understand how or why it works.

On a somewhat related note, I have currently having a very hard time with the Variant Manager automation in Expedition.  I can load it and work with it, but it seems to not want to close correctly.  If I make a hook into it with automation, then close the Expedition session without closing the automation tool, I get a "Pure Virtual Function Call" error message.  I've tried every way I can think of to shut down the Variant Manager using its provided functions, all to no avail. If any of you are using the Variant Manager in Expedition, you will no doubt run across the same problem.

• 7. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                      fuba

Dear Patrick,

thanks for the valueable Information.

I found the same solution in the meanwhile, by searching all Mentor vbs example Scripts on My Computer.

But anyway, you have been a great help, and I will also check your latest Code Snippets/Functions.

Thanks so far.

I will extend you code a little, iaw.: a few more object definitions, I have also figured out in the meanwhile,

which makes coding easier and post it in a few days here, maybe this helps you a little to get in deeper,

or someone else.

So, thanks again & Bye

Stefan

• 8. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                        fuba

Hi Patrick,

do you have also a solution, how to get to the Parts defined in the Functions ?

I have tried it they way you do it with the variants, but no success so far.

Thanks again

regards Stefan

• 9. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                          Patrick.Cashman

I think what you are talking about is this part:

scomps = nothing

scomps = app.DesignComponents("", design_name, "-1", , False)          'gets all the components in the design

Here's an example of how to use it; The idea is to get a collection of all the parts, then use a for/each loop to cycle through them.  The for/each loop then has a reference to each individual part in turn, and you can do whatever you need to with each part. 

Public Sub load_all_comps()

Dim attr As ViewDraw.Attribute

Dim tmp, ref As String

Dim n As Integer

Dim scomp  As ViewDraw.Component

scomps = nothing

scomps = app.DesignComponents("", design_name, "-1", , False)          'gets all the components in the design

all_comps.Clear

'load up all_comps dictionary with key = refdes and value = pcb footprint

For Each scomp In scomps

If scomp.Refdes = "" Then GoTo next_scomp1

ref = scomp.Refdes.ToString & vbcrlf

attr = scomp.FindAttribute("PCB Footprint")

tmp = ""

If Not attr Is Nothing Then

tmp = attr.Value.ToString

End If

if not all_comps.ContainsKey(scomp.Refdes.ToString) then

all_comps.Add(scomp.Refdes.ToString, tmp)

End If

next_scomp1:

Next

End Sub

If this is not what you are looking for then I don't understand your question.  Hope this helps. 

Just to be clear, the information about each part in the variant manager does not have a full part definition with all the part properties. All it has the information about the variant modifications to the part - no change, uninstalled, part number replaced, etc. That's why I have stored all that in separate lists, yet still refer to the actual component to get any property values I need from it.

• 10. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                            fuba

Hi,

well I am not quite shure. To explain my question more in Detail.

The Variant Manager holds the Variants. Variants consist of functions.

and functions consist of parts (Caps, Resistors,... whatever).

You solution above tells which Part (Cap, Resistor, ...) is part of which variant.

I look now for the Parts and the Functions described above.

I think It should also be possible to iterate through all Functions,

like going through all Variants.

Thanks

Stefan

• 11. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                              Patrick.Cashman

I've never used the Functions.  I suggest you check the help under Variant Manager Automation Reference > VMDocument Object.  There is some information in there about them.

• 12. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                                fuba

Hi,

here like promised in my post above, but a little delayed, a complete

Vb.Net Project in Mirosoft Visual Studio Express 2008,based on the Code

by Patrick.Cashman, but extended a little by a few more Object declarations,

which make programming a little easier due to mor Intelli Sense Support.

It needs an open Dx-Designer, a loaded Schematic with Variants in it.

After Pressing the button it takes a while, dependant on the Size of the Schematic and Variants.

Please wait until a Message Box appears, telling you that it is ready now.

The Program is pretty simple so far (no Background Workers, additional parallel threads, ...)

Have fun with that,

and

Bye

Stefan

• 13. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                                  fuba

Hi Patrick,

I just added a Test App, containing your code, and my Extensions.

Please feel free to use, or ...

Thanks again for the good help.

Bye Stefan

• 14. Re: Get Schematic Components in Variant Manger Mode
                                    andrew.french

Hey guys,

All I want to do is check the schematic if there are any variants and if there are just grab their name(s).  Is all this necessary for that or does anyone know a more straight forward way of accomplishing this?  Like maybe a text file that exists that you could parse for this info or something else?  Seems very convaluded for something that should be easy.

1 2 First Previous