AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unable to use cross referencing

Question asked by mathieu.lafrance on Apr 15, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 by mathieu.lafrance

Hi,

I am unable to use cross referencing correctly with off/onsheet symbols.

As I can see it, there seems to be two different way of performing this task. The first way is using a somehow built-in tool found in "Setup / Settings / Project / Cross Reference", the second is using Cross references with Scout, as found in "Tools / Cross-references"

I have setup four different symbol of type "Anotate", one IN and one OUT for the "left", another IN and another OUT for the "right"

The first way (built-in tool found in "Setup / Settings / Project / Cross Reference"):

I set the symbols as being links in the settings. The links work, as I can navigate thru them using ALT+LMB:

4.png

I have set the cross reference origin and offset as found in Settings / Project / Cross Reference:

5.png

After this, I go in Tools / Update Other Objects / Check "Cross Reference", applied to the project. The problem I have with this way of doing cross referencing is that the offset of the annotation is set only for either the "LEFT" symbols or the "RIGHT" symbols; I have no way of telling both at the same time.

Correct "LEFT" symbols:

6.png

Incorrect "RIGHT" symbols:

7.png

Sweeping the user guides, I found another way which lets me specify a lot more options, with scout. See below.

The second way (Cross references with Scout, as found in "Tools / Cross-references"):

This way simply never works. The only revelant options I find in all this wizard is the "Record and Place Options":

8.png

The symbols I created are located in the partition "builtin", with the names "offsheet_left", "offsheet_right", "onsheet_left" and "onsheet_right".

I have also set the "Scope" to all the options I could see, just to be sure (both in "general options" and "Cross References Options", not sure what is the difference):

9.png

I make sure all my options are set by using "Modify Cross References Settings", as seen in #1. After this, I invoke the menu again and run scout with all schematics closed, as seen in #2. I press Start, as seen in #3:

a.png

Result:

Started scout.exe "WG"  -icdbdir "C:\Users\mlafranc\Desktop\Flat_WG_8868812\database" -icdbsnapshot  "DxD" -common_prop_file  "O:/MentorExpedition/Projects/CE/868812/868812F1.1/MDA_Library_Dec2012_RPC_WG/CentLib.prp"  -textsize 254000 -new_attr_vis 1
scout: Note 115: Using configuration file  C:\Users\mlafranc\Desktop\Flat_WG_8868812\scout.ini.
scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '1' not found in Common Properties.
scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '1' not found in Common Properties.
scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '12-13' not found in Common Properties.
scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '14-15' not found in Common Properties.
scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '16' not found in Common Properties.
scout: Note 137: Finished with 0 error(s), 10 warning(s),  1 note(s).
Finished  scout.exe
..... And no annotation, at all.
XREF is already defined as a common property in "Property Definition Editor" of "Library Manager":
c.png

Here is how my symbol look like:

b.png

What am I missing ? There's a lot of undocumented options with the "scout" cross referencing way. I am joining in this message my scout.ini file, in desesperate hope that somebody may be able to explain what is going on with this thing.

Attachments

Outcomes