3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 1:00 PM by mathieu.lafrance

Unable to use cross referencing

mathieu.lafrance

Hi,

I am unable to use cross referencing correctly with off/onsheet symbols.

As I can see it, there seems to be two different way of performing this task. The first way is using a somehow built-in tool found in "Setup / Settings / Project / Cross Reference", the second is using Cross references with Scout, as found in "Tools / Cross-references"

I have setup four different symbol of type "Anotate", one IN and one OUT for the "left", another IN and another OUT for the "right"

The first way (built-in tool found in "Setup / Settings / Project / Cross Reference"):

I set the symbols as being links in the settings. The links work, as I can navigate thru them using ALT+LMB:

4.png

I have set the cross reference origin and offset as found in Settings / Project / Cross Reference:

5.png

After this, I go in Tools / Update Other Objects / Check "Cross Reference", applied to the project. The problem I have with this way of doing cross referencing is that the offset of the annotation is set only for either the "LEFT" symbols or the "RIGHT" symbols; I have no way of telling both at the same time.

Correct "LEFT" symbols:

6.png

Incorrect "RIGHT" symbols:

7.png

Sweeping the user guides, I found another way which lets me specify a lot more options, with scout. See below.

The second way (Cross references with Scout, as found in "Tools / Cross-references"):

This way simply never works. The only revelant options I find in all this wizard is the "Record and Place Options":

8.png

The symbols I created are located in the partition "builtin", with the names "offsheet_left", "offsheet_right", "onsheet_left" and "onsheet_right".

I have also set the "Scope" to all the options I could see, just to be sure (both in "general options" and "Cross References Options", not sure what is the difference):

9.png

I make sure all my options are set by using "Modify Cross References Settings", as seen in #1. After this, I invoke the menu again and run scout with all schematics closed, as seen in #2. I press Start, as seen in #3:

a.png

Result:

Started scout.exe "WG"  -icdbdir "C:\Users\mlafranc\Desktop\Flat_WG_8868812\database" -icdbsnapshot  "DxD" -common_prop_file  "O:/MentorExpedition/Projects/CE/868812/868812F1.1/MDA_Library_Dec2012_RPC_WG/CentLib.prp"  -textsize 254000 -new_attr_vis 1
      scout: Note 115: Using configuration file  C:\Users\mlafranc\Desktop\Flat_WG_8868812\scout.ini.
      scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '1' not found in Common Properties.
      scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '1' not found in Common Properties.
      scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '12-13' not found in Common Properties.
      scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '14-15' not found in Common Properties.
      scout: Warning 177: Component property name 'SHEET' value  '16' not found in Common Properties.
      scout: Note 137: Finished with 0 error(s), 10 warning(s),  1 note(s).
      Finished  scout.exe
      ..... And no annotation, at all.
      XREF is already defined as a common property in "Property Definition Editor" of "Library Manager":
      c.png

Here is how my symbol look like:

b.png

What am I missing ? There's a lot of undocumented options with the "scout" cross referencing way. I am joining in this message my scout.ini file, in desesperate hope that somebody may be able to explain what is going on with this thing.

• 1. Re: Unable to use cross referencing
          mathieu.lafrance

I got it.

I had to "record" the symbol first, then "place" it.

I just tried it, out of nowhere, by trial and testing directly with the scout.ini file. No mention ever of "place" or "record" in the wizard. How is somebody supposed to know this? This is not even documented (I've read the PDF tons of time). There are so many things in this software that is undocumented, you just "have to know it" already. Waste of time

d.png

• 2. Re: Unable to use cross referencing
            MENTOR_Shannonk

There is a really good TechNote on the basics of Cross Reference.  It was just enhanced with videos for each of the sections.  TechNote mg510524.

• 3. Re: Unable to use cross referencing
              mathieu.lafrance

Thank you for this link. I agree that it is correctly documented in the technote.

I am wondering why in the world I should have to search the technotes online to find a procedure on how to do something that simple. I think this is the basic kind of thing that should be covered in the included PDFs  ..\MentorGraphics_EE7.9.4\7.9.4EE\docs\pdfdocs\

Should I stop looking at these PDFs and scrap them? They seem to have been written by a monkey ... help pages such as this is frustrating:

e.png

Yes, I can read. I expect some explanation sort of like "You need to setup PLACE and then RECORD to get correct cross-reference". Instead of this, I gather pieces of information there and there when I'm lucky.