10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 9:40 AM by Patrick.Cashman

Using Microsoft Visual Basic Express for writing scripts.

mgeisler

I have been writing scripts for Expedition using the IDE inteface, standard .vbs and Microsoft Visual Basic Express.  I haven't had any problems with any of them until I got a new computer with the Windows 7 OS.  My previous OS was Windows XP.  Now, whenever I try to run my Microsoft Visual Basic Express compiled .exe scripts, I get an "Unhandled exception" error stating that it "Cannot create ActiveX component". If I try to run it in the Microsoft Visual Basic editor, I get this message in the "Immediate Window" display:

A first chance exception of type 'System.Exception' occurred in Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

It is getting triggered when attempting to create an Auotmation Licensing object:

' Get license server

licenseServer = CreateObject(

"MGCPCBAutomationLicensing.Application")

I submitted an SR for this (SR 2597961073) which resulted in a reply that Mentor does not support 3rd party vendors like Microsoft Visual Basic and I was on my own if I used it. This appears to be more of a Windows 7 issue than a Microsoft Visual Basic issue because my scripts were working fine in Windows XP.  I do not want to have to re-write these scripts for the Mentor IDE if I don't have to.

Is anyone else in the Mentor Automation community using Microsoft Visual Basic and has anyone else come across this particular issue?

Mark Geisler

Charles Stark Draper Laboratory

Cambridge, MA 02139