14 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2016 6:37 AM by robert_davies

Custom properties

nadovicc

I'd like to make custom properties on library parts that are editable.

For example, I have a symbol in a library. I want to add a FOO property

to the symbol that is editable by users of that symbol.

If I just do this, users won't be able to use the FOO property in the symbol

till they run the properties definition editor and add this FOO property to

the list in C:/.../standard/netlist.prp.

Is there any way I can create a local version of netlist.prp that's

automatically associated with a library?  Alternatively, is there some

way to make a preconfigured project template that has a pointer

to a local netlist.prp -- that way my users can simply start with this template and get

the right properties list. Or is there a place that DxD looks for a local version

of netlist.prp that overrides the C: version? Or can I set a KEY in a .prj file

pointing to this customized Z:/path/netlist.prp? I want DxD to use some other propeties

list along with my libraries, but I don't want to force people to jump through

hoops. What's the simplest way for users to use libraries that have custom properties

on an un-customized installation of DxD.

What I _cant_ do is alter the default installation of DxD which is controlled by our

IT app deployment people, so I can't edit C:/Mentor... in any way.  I can give my users template

projects and files that live other places than C:, but I can't deploy this on C:

• 1. Re: Custom properties
          nadovicc

On the same topic, is there some way to specify the file to edit in DxD with the Properties Definition Editor? I can see how to create a new file, and import to the current file, but this is not the same as specifying

what to use/edit here.

Perhaps there a DxD project setting for what .PRP file is to be used?

Or perhaps a "accept all properties even if they aren't listed in netlist.prp" option?

• 2. Re: Custom properties
            robert_davies

In the setup settings menu there is a setting for the prp file if using the netlist/PADS flow. Copy the one from standard to a central location and edit this pointer. You can also create a template with this already set up.

Sent from Samsung mobile

• 3. Re: Custom properties
              nadovicc

robert_davies wrote:

In the setup settings menu there is a setting for the prp file if using the netlist/PADS flow. Copy the one from standard to a central location and edit this pointer. You can also create a template with this already set up.

Sent from Samsung mobile

Where? I don't see this setting for the PRP file under Setup->Settings. Maybe I don't have the "netlist/PADS" flow selected, but under Tools->PCB Interface pads94.cfg is listed. Is that what you mean?

Seriously, I wouldn't be asking this question if I saw a way to set the PRP file in the project, so please have pity on me and tell me exactly where this is. I really can't find it. What group of settings is it under?

Where are settings saved? In the PRJ file? Maybe I can add a KEY to the .PRJ file.

Under "Interconnectivity Table" in settings, there is "Properties", but this doesn't let me set a PRP file.

--

C

• 4. Re: Custom properties
                robert_davies

Settings-Project-Property Definitions.

Sent from Samsung mobile

• 5. Re: Custom properties
                  nadovicc

Found it. Thanks.

And it adds a

KEY PropertyDefinitions "mydrive:/mypath/myfile.prp"

to the .PRJ file, so I think I can use this to preconfigure the accepted properties

along with the required libraries in a template .PRJ file.

• 6. Re: Custom properties
                    MENTOR_Shannonk

Just an FYI, the prp file entry has to be a complete path, a local ./ style path won't work.

• 7. Re: Custom properties
                      nadovicc

MENTOR_Shannonk wrote:

Just an FYI, the prp file entry has to be a complete path, a local ./ style path won't work.

I don't know why you say that. I was able to use a "./myprops.prp" as a KEY in the project file and it

appeared to find that file in the project directory just fine. What's the problem with a relative path?

I see that most of the KEY entries in the .prj file use ./ style relative paths, e.g. ./usertools.ini

• 8. Re: Custom properties
                        robert_davies

Have you tried an environment variable?  Enclose it in {}.

Sent from Samsung mobile

• 9. Re: Custom properties
                          nadovicc

Can't use an environment variable as this would imply customization of the PC. I'm trying to

distribute a schematic with libraries that someone could just click on, open, and edit with

DxD without having to configure anything special on that PC.

It appears that adding the KEY to the .PRJ file specifying a relative path to

./myprops.prp achieves this.

• 10. Re: Custom properties
                            robert_davies

If you put the file in a location local to the project then you have the two following problems. Firstly you will have to update every copy of this file if you add new properties and secondly, the user can now edit the file and add his own properties. If yoy use the WDIR as the localtion and use it as the environment variable then all users will have access to the common file and you can protect it from overwrite. As all users have the WDIR environment variable as part of the installation you are not customising the user's PC any more than with a normal installation.

• 11. Re: Custom properties
                              MENTOR_Shannonk

Now try to open Tools > Property Definition Editor, mine is blank if I use the relative path nomenclature. This is a known defect: DR 0639415

• 12. Re: Custom properties
                                nadovicc

You don't understand that I have almost

exactly _zero_ ability to customize an installation.

We have about 75 workstations with DxD installed.

I have no efficient way to set an environment variable in all of them.

What I need is a way to distribute a drawing, with libraries and

all other required files (like the .PRM) file so that an entirely

unmodified installation of DxD can open and edit the drawing.

The thing I want to do, open and edit a project using

an unmodified app is all I want to do.

• 13. Re: Custom properties
                                  jduquette

Shannon,

Has DR 0639415 been fixed yet?  VX1.2, maybe? 

Thanks,

John D

• 14. Re: Custom properties
                                    robert_davies

That defect has been closed with no plans for us to fix it. A relative path works if you add it to the project file by hand, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense as a use model. It would be better to put the prp file with your symbol/part libraries and point to this in the project template.