1 2 First Previous 19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 10:18 AM by snguyen

Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic

nadovicc

What's the best/easiest way to give someone my set of hierarchical DxDesigner schematics, being sure

that they can fully open/edit them with their installation of DxDesigner? Assume the DxD versions are the

same.

--

C

• 1. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
          robert_davies

If no-one else is using the project then exit DxDesigner and zip the whole project folder. If you are still usng DxDesigner use Archiver to create a copy, it gives you the option to zip the copy.

• 2. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
            nadovicc

robert_davies wrote:

If no-one else is using the project then exit DxDesigner and zip the whole project folder. If you are still usng DxDesigner use Archiver to create a copy, it gives you the option to zip the copy.

But that won't work, will it? What about the libraries? What about parameters?  Does archiver include all the dependencies?

--

C

• 3. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
              robert_davies

It all depends on what the other user wants to do. You don't need the libraries to edit the schematic and add exsiting symbols that exist in the design, they are cached in the design as are the constraints. If the user needs to add new stuff then send him the library or he can use his own. You asked how to send some schematics, this is how.

• 4. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                nadovicc

So if I send a zip of the entire project hierarchy in order to send a schematic, the recipient

will be able to unzip that in a new location, open it, and edit it?

• 5. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                  robert_davies

Yes they will be able to unzip it and edit it.

Sent from Samsung mobile

• 6. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                    nadovicc

Suppose  the other user has exactly the same DxD version, and exactly the same libraries installed. Is there a way to give them

a schematic page that does not require zipping a whole project tree?

• 7. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                      robert_davies

Only if you work on the same network - copy/paste between projects. Outside of the organisation you send the whole design or create a copy of the design with only the parts of the schematic you want to share.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                        nadovicc

I see. Less convenient for me, but if that's the way it is...

Thanks for your help.

• 9. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                          nadovicc

robert_davies wrote:

Yes they will be able to unzip it and edit it.

This turned out to be false.

I exited DxD. Rebooted twice. Zipped the project tree. Emailed it to someone else. And they could not open it -- could not iCDB whatever.

So I'm still not quite sure how to give someone a DxD schematic with any certainty they can open it or edit it.

--

C

• 10. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                            robert_davies

I suspect you have a lock file called the sAddress.adr file still in the database folder, if it exists it tells the application that the project was copied whilst it was still in use. This could be because it was in use by somebody else or you exited and it was still compressing the file in the background.

The other possibility is that the version of DxDesigner they are using is different, the database is not backwards compatible between releases.

If you want to convince yourself that zipping the project directory works then zip it and unzip it somewhere else in your folder tree. This won't be a full test because your environment is still the same, library pointer etc. But it will at least prove that the project can be moved in this way. We do it all the time inside Mentor.

Or use Tools - Archive to achieve the same thing.

• 11. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                              nadovicc

Hmmm... same exact version. No sAddress.adr. No multiuser conflict -- its just me. Maybe I didn't reboot enough

times before zipping.

I'll try Tools -> Archive next time. Perhaps this works better, knowing how to "freeze" the database in a sane state.

I'm afraid I'm learning that DxD does not seem very convenient for collaboration between multiple

designers. I mean, if I want to email a schematic snippet or page to another designer collaborating

with me, there doesn't seem to be any quick, easy, and reliable way to do it.  Or am I missing something obvious?

I mean, if I'm collaborating with almost any other application I can think of, I can save a snippet of something in

a new file with "SaveAs" and the other guy can open it. I don't have to shut down the app and cross my

fingers to do this.

--

C

• 12. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                                jduquette

I work with a designer who ships me a zip of the 'schematic' folder; the zip file has archive in the name so I assume it is from the archive process.  When I get it I unzip it and everything works as expected.  I can view and edit in DxD as needed.

• 13. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                                  robert_davies

If you are collaborating on a design with another colleague then DxDesigner supports full concurrent access for both users. This can be configured using a service known as the RSCM (Remote Server Configuration Manager), if you are interested in this then review the documentation provided with the installation (Concurrent Design Administrator’s Guide).

You don't say in your earlier post what error messages the recipient of the zip file you sent so it is difficult to suggest what the problem might be, you also don't say which version of the software you are running, though from other posts it looks like PADS 9.4.

Can you unzip the attcahed file and open it? It was created in PADS 9.3 using 7zip. I just assigned Ref Designators, closed the project and zipped it. Then copied it from the remote machine I was using to my laptop and unzipped it. Opened in PADS 9.5 with a prompt to tell me it was created in an earlier version. No reboots required.

• 14. Re: Giving someone a DxDesigner schematic
                                    nadovicc

robert_davies wrote:

If you are collaborating on a design with another colleague then DxDesigner supports full concurrent access for both users. This can be configured using a service known as the RSCM (Remote Server Configuration Manager), if you are interested in this then review the documentation provided with the installation (Concurrent Design Administrator’s Guide).

You don't say in your earlier post what error messages the recipient of the zip file you sent so it is difficult to suggest what the problem might be, you also don't say which version of the software you are running, though from other posts it looks like PADS 9.4.

Can you unzip the attcahed file and open it? It was created in PADS 9.3 using 7zip. I just assigned Ref Designators, closed the project and zipped it. Then copied it from the remote machine I was using to my laptop and unzipped it. Opened in PADS 9.5 with a prompt to tell me it was created in an earlier version. No reboots required.

I don't want full concurrent access to the same project. We are working on different projects. I want to send a schematic to someone else, or more precisely, I want to share some circuits with several designers working on several different things and different locations with different IT departments. All we have in common is we are running the same version of DxD.

Yes, I can unzip your project and open it without error, but when I try to zip things myself

and send them, more often than not the recipient can't open it. They get the can't open iCDB error which I did, in fact, mention in my earlier post.

Oddly, sometimes I can unzip and open my self-zipped database myself. Sometimes I can't.  Sometimes it will open on one machine, but not on another.

I'm happy that you can do this reliably. I cannot. I don't know why. Could it be that my project is saved on a network drive? Is there some way to know that

the database is shut down fully and the tree is safe to copy?

1 2 First Previous