5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 2:09 PM by Joel_Pointon

Vesys with AutoCAD 2009 on XP 64-bit and Vista 32-bit

scott_mcdonald

Vesys with AutoCAD 2009 on XP 64-bit and Vista 32-bit: Has anyone been successful using Vesys with AutoCAD 2009 on an XP-64 bit or on a Vista 32-bit machine? We have the need to use both operating systems but I have not been able to get Vesys running on either. What happens is Vesys installs successfully but I do not get the "Vesys Design and Harness" in the Start > All Programs > Vesys Electrical Series folder. We also have some licenses of AutoCAD LT 2005 which I can get to work with Vesys on both platforms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Scott

• 1. Re: Vesys with AutoCAD 2009 on XP 64-bit and Vista 32-bit
          Joel_Pointon

Hi Scott,

It sounds like you are not using the latest version of VeSys (2008.1 SP1) because this is the only version that has LT2009 support, if you try to install on LT2009 it will only install VeSys Components.

You will have to log in to Supportnet to get access to this version of the software.

• 2. Re: Vesys with AutoCAD 2009 on XP 64-bit and Vista 32-bit
            scott_mcdonald

I have been trying to use  VeSys (2008.1 SP1) which I recently downloaded from Supportnet. I installed it successfully on a XP 32-bit machine running AutoCAD 2009 but following the same procedure on either XP 64-bit or Vista results are the same as I had explained where it does not provide me with the Vesys Design and Harness selection.

Thanks for the information...I am awaiting help from Mentor Graphics as I have logged a call there as well.

Scott

• 3. Re: Vesys with AutoCAD 2009 on XP 64-bit and Vista 32-bit
              Joel_Pointon

Hi Scott,

If you managed to install VeSys 2008.1 SP1 with AutoCAD 2005 on the 64bit machine (either XP or Vista) then it is likely that VeSys has a problem locating the AutoCAD executable - not sure if 64bit machines install in the same directory.

• 4. Re: Vesys with AutoCAD 2009 on XP 64-bit and Vista 32-bit
                Nuri

Hi Scott,

VeSys 2008.1 SP1 will only support the 32-bit edition of AutoCAD LT 2009.  If you have installed AutoCAD LT2009 on a 64-bit OS then it is probably the 64-bit edition of AutoCAD which is unable to utilise VeSys which is only compiled as a 32-bit application.

I have managed to work with VeSys 2008.1 on a 64-bit Vista using AutoCAD 2008/LT2008 but for that to work I needed to install the 32-bit edition of AutoCAD.    Unfortunately, with AutoCAD 2009 on a 64-bit OS the installer does not allow you to use the 32-bit edition (this restriction does not exist with AutoCAD 2008 which is happy to run in 32-bit emulation along with VeSys).

I hope this information has helped,

Thanks,

Nuri

• 5. Re: Vesys with AutoCAD 2009 on XP 64-bit and Vista 32-bit
                  Joel_Pointon

Hi Scott,

I found this useful link on the AutoDesk website stating that the 32 bit and 64 bit OS are both on the disk (See link http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=8446386) although this implies that you can install the 32 bit version further research has highlighted that as Nuri pointed out it automatically defaults to installing the 64 bit version .

You may want to read another thread that I found that appears to show how to install the 32 bit version of AutoCAD even on a 64 bit machine, if you are feeling adventurous you may even want to try it!  I should point out that I haven't tried it and as Mentor haven't recommended it it's not an approved workaround but if you have no other option you may want to give it a try.

If you do try it I'd be interested in your feedback as this may be a workaround for other VeSys 64 bit users.