7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 3:48 AM by robert_davies

Not stuffed parts w/o VM

Cadiat

Hi,

I'd like to use not stuffed (not placed) functionality in DxDesigner without Variant Manager. Is there any solution in DxDesigner (or perhaps DMS) to do that?

In our company it's quite ordinary that we place generic components for which we don't know value yet. For example, we know there might be a capacitor in proximity of certain chip, but it's not absolutely manditory on the board. However, we do like to have a footprint on the PCB in case we decide to place it later. When we were using DxDataBook, we could easily resolve this by creating virtual components with part number consisting of only zeros. But now we are using DMS (which won't allow multiple components having the same part number) and we can't do it the same way.

I'm sure others must be using similar "not stuffed" process. I wonder how are you managing this?

• 1. Re: Not stuffed parts w/o VM
          jduquette

I have a 'Do Not Stuff' attribute in my library that I share between PADS Layout and PADS Logic.  I set the attribute to 'Y' for parts that are not stuffed and leave it blank for stuffed parts.  I expect you can keep it that simple with DxD...

• 2. Re: Not stuffed parts w/o VM
            Cadiat

Thank you, that's interesting approach.

But, how do you manage BOMs? If an attribute on a symbol is the identifier for stuffed parts, then I guess part lister (or VM export) can't detect that property and outputs the nonstuffed parts as well?

• 3. Re: Not stuffed parts w/o VM
              Gary_Lameris

There is a defined property call "Part List Exclude" in current versions of software for this.   Of course you could define your own property for this purpose.

Currently you could use Excel to sort BOM's based on a "stuffed" property.  I always export to HTML and import the HTML output to Excel as a table.

Gary

• 4. Re: Not stuffed parts w/o VM
                jduquette

I generate my BOM in PADS Logic.  I added a column to the BOM report for the 'Do Not Stuff' attribute.

Qty    Reference    Part Number                        Manufacturer           Description                                                Do Not Stuff

1        C12              Generic                                TBD                         SURFACE MOUNT CAPACITOR 0805    YES

2        C1 C18        GRM216R71H103KA01D    Murata                     Cap, 10000pf, 50 V, Ceramic, 0805  

• 5. Re: Not stuffed parts w/o VM
                  jduquette

There's the DxD trick!

• 6. Re: Not stuffed parts w/o VM
                    Cadiat

Thanks Gary.

Can I make a macro to quickly assign not stuffed components? It'd be great if there would be a simple button to do this, instead of adding new property and assigning it a value. Additionaly, is there a way that not stuffed components would have special marking on schematic, like a red cross for example?

• 7. Re: Not stuffed parts w/o VM
                      robert_davies

Variant Manager addresses all of your requests. Without VM you will need to manage such parts manually or write your own automation. You can use a combination of Foward PCB and Part List Exclude to manage both parts and BOMs without VM, but it is time consuming and error prone. Look in the on-line help for:

Controlling Part Inclusion/Exclusion in BOM/PCB in the DxDesigner User's Guide